Saturday, August 11, 2012

(short) power outages always make me feel fortunate...

...because let's face it, i don't even THINK about how lucky we are to have safe, reliable, affordable (sorta) electrical power until it goes out. and then, when it's hot without a/c, and quiet without t'internet or tv, and starting to be serrrrriously inconvenient not to have modern plumbing, i think about what it'd be like to live every day without those things-- and the gazzillion other luxurious "necessities" i totally take for granted-- and i think, "wow, i'm kind of a spoiled brat!" and for a couple of hours, at least, i'm a very *GRATEFUL* spoiled brat.

none of that has ANYTHING to do with today's card, except i made it on the night of a big thunderstorm for which we were without electricity several hours, and that may have led to the somewhat "minimal" (for me!!!) lines of this card:

(patterned paper: basic grey; tape: love my tapes; butterfly: graphics fairy; ink: colorbox; border punch: recollections; adhesives: staples gluetape runner, 3m foam tape, sewing machine)

the other thing that really pared it down for me was following this week's gorgeous sketch from basic grey blog:


when i saw it, i immediately thought of that big fussy-cut flower leftover from a project ages ago, which i stumbled upon the other night, and i knew it'd look fantastic with the beautiful graphics fairy butterfly that is provided for us to use in the "let's do it again" challenge at city crafter this week, for which i really wanted to make something uber-fab in honor of the TWO lindas: linda robinson, who's hosting, and linda breedlove, who is their lovely guest star!  (hi guys!!! ♥) so then  all i had to do was flesh out the sketch with a few other patterns!

guiding my choices on that score was this lovely palette (#149) from colourQ:


for which i'd pretty definitely be disqualified, by virtue of the fact that not only have i got EXTRA "tones and highlights" of the colors in the inspo; i've also got a little brown, and black; plus BG papers always have the coolest "distressed" highlights and some of the stripey paper's are pink! so i'm not linking up, but i do thank them for ♥INSPIRING♥ me!

that's about all i've got for today, except to wish you all the very the happiest and most relaxing of weekends, darlings! ♥

13 comments:

  1. You made this without Lighting???? It's fabulous! Sheesh! you never seems to amaze me ... Thanks so much for playing along with us at CCCB ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how this card flows.

    I hear you about the whole power thing....we're even fortunate enough to have a generator if necessary so we wouldn't need to be without power at all. Luckily, we've never been without power long enough to be bothered to get it out (though ds # 2 - the tv watcher, video game player of the family tries to convince dh to hook it up as soon as one of his beloved machines shuts off).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must learn to think this way when I am without power. I am usually just hot and mad, and not too productive. Your card turned out just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my friend, you are just so talented that storm, or no storm, your cards look fab! Yeah....love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check you out..crafting by candlelight? Looks fabulous!! You combined the challenges wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous, I love the design and that butterfly is so beautiful

    sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous card, and I am so glad the power came back on so you could post it :) we are all quite "spoiled" aren't we??? couldn't do without air conditioning this year here for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With or without light, your are the queen of cards no matter what, sweet girl. Love the color scheme. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is amazing, especially is a product on a storming night, I can't even craft at night with good lighting. : o
    thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card looks fabulous. I really can't believe you made it with not power.. Yea for you! It really is so pretty.. Thanks for joining us over at CCCB..

    I have to say I just love stopping in here. YOU always make me smile.

    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love it anyway! gorgeous butterfly! Thanks for joining us at ColourQ, Lauren! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its gorgeous. I really like it, but it seems so unlike you. I don't remember the last time I saw a card by you with out a title or some bling at least. I like it. BG is always my fav to mix in.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~