Tuesday, August 14, 2012

faux corEENtheean leatherrrrrrrr*

this week at shopping our stash, we're VERY excited to be welcoming four unbelievably awesome new designers to our team, so be sure to pop over and leave some love for jessi, lindamichelle and sandie, and see what they've done for this week's challenge (#64):

Technique Time
Use a technique you've always wanted to try but haven't yet, or one you haven't done in ages! Be sure to tell us what technique you are using. Ideas: alcohol inks, coloring with a different medium (for instance if you always use copics, use pencils instead), make your own embellishments, emboss with ink or paint using a cuttlebug folder, anything Tim Holtz-esque, etc.

i'm pretty excited about this one, so first i'll show you my card... and then i'll essplain it.

vintage deer illustration; patterned paper: graphic 45, dcwv; real wood veneer: kate's paperie; metal and epoxy frame: k and co; butterfly sticker: ek success; leaf ribbon: may arts; nubbly green trim" making memories; felt fern: prima; distress inks (in about 6 slightly different colors of brown and tan!): ranger


as you know, i am a technique-free zone, so i did what i often** do on these occasions, screamed (via email), "HELP!" to my lovely and talented friend stephanie severin, who sent me a list of links to some cool (but EASY) techniques that she knows i have admired in the past; including one for making faux leather out of masking tape, from this beate johns tutorial on SCS which stef had used on this card i love! i don't think mine looks nearly as much like leather*** as either of their cards do-- mine's more like cork, or maybe that pressboard stuff they used to make inexpensive furniture from, before columbus discovered mdf-- but i really like it; and it was indeed easy and fun to accomplish, so i know for sure i'll be trying it again in future (already have a few ideas on that score, actually) so i'm happy to enter this in simon says stamp and show... your FAVORITE technique! i also found a cool new (to me!) challenge blog called do you stack up, who are featuring "four-legged friends" this week, so i'm popping dear mr. deer in there, as well! :)

i was very excited to get a shout-out at unscripted sketches last week for the vintage motoring card i made for our chiropractor, and i thank those lovely ladies for that; this week's sketch (#171) is beyond fab as well; i've flipped it horitzontally to avoid one of my biggest cardmaking pet peeves: i cannot stand it if my "focal image" (in this case the aforesaid mr. deer) seems to be staring right off the page, rather than into the rich heartland of my card; i know, i know, it's very silly of me, but that just totally bugs me, so there!


finally, this is by far the most tangential i've ever gone in a card for one of laurel seabrook's inspired by challenges, and it makes a lot more sense if you realize that the title of #36 is "inspired by camping" --from which i took the general outdoorsy/nature theme--than if you compare my card to the inspiration picture itself, but i'll show you the picture anyway, o'course, in case you want to play, too! i might need to have another go at this one, actually, since i am sooooooooooo IN LOVE with those fabulous stacked triangle trees:


and now i invite you all to head over to shopping our stash, see the amazingly gorgeous DT cards, welcome our new DT darlings, and start planning ♥YOUR♥ lovely card!!!

*you have to be my age (late 40's) and american and remember ricardo montalban's chrysler commercials from the 70's to get this; even then it's not VERY funny. see, if i can't think of a good post title when i sit down to blog, i just put the first silly thing i thinkof, then go back and fix it later. but sometimes... i can't think of a good post title later, either. this was one of those times. sorry! 

**something else i've been known to do on these occasions, is to scream (via email), "HELP!" to my lovely and talented friend marisol adams! :)

***i used two different kinds of masking tape, thinking it would add more texture--which it did; however the two types also absorbed the inks in COMPLETELY different ways! interesting, no?! ...note to self...

27 comments:

  1. What fun I had reading your post - you know how to entertain! Love how the technique turned out on your card - fabulous BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I like the way the deer is in the middle of the circle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous card, love that look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! Personally I thought the faux leather looked like spam, which is faux meat, aka: parts is parts.

    And I agree about images that look off the page, especially to the left! Bah. Intensely dislike! You did a fine job with the flipper-oo of the sketch, though.

    PS: Thanks for yet another challenge blog to add to my reader (DYSU). At this rate, I can never die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fabulous!!! I love the effect you created ... cork or whatever ... it sure looks amazing ... I adore that frame for your sideways on deer and the butterfly is the icing on the cake ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooooooo FABULOUS!! I LOVE it sooooooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOwzerss absolutely amazing background you made, thank you for sharing with the DT from Simon Says Stamp and Show, wowzersss the butterfly is just great too Hugs Terry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nubbly green trim...that made me giggle. And so did most of your post - I could HEAR the title being said aloud, no idea from where, but I enjoyed it immensely :) I love how your card turned out - and I don't know that I ever thought about where things are facing on my cards. Now I feel like I need to go look!
    Cannot wait to join in next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting techniques...Thanks for joining us a DYSU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren - You are ... well, I'm not from the south, nor do I have any southern roots, but you are a hoot!! I am so glad to be on a DT with you! This is a great card! I love how you explain where all your ideas came from and how you got from point A to point B. I think you would fit right in with me and my oldest, Bekah. Your sense of humor feels just like ours! Watch out world!
    Have a blessed day!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I MUST say, I'm in LOVE!!! Totally wonderful and so pretty. I've never even tried that technique and it makes such a unique and beautiful card! Love it.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only is your card absolutely fabulous, but your post was so much fun to read! Seriously, your faux leather does look like faux leather and not like layered chipboard! You are just too funny! Thanks for sharing your card with us at Unscripted Sketches and for providing me with such an enjoyable blog visit (especially the part about Chris discovering MDF)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a stunning creation! I love everything about it. Thank you for joining us at DYSU this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous take on the sketch - love the colors and your explanations! Thanks for playing with us this week at Unscripted Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at you rockin' the technique ... and fitting in lots of awesome challenges too ... you're a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a fun technique...we used it years ago in our stamp club...i like that you used the two types of tape...it gives it a completely different look...we used tape that had a bit of a shiny finish on the outside and it had a completely different take...gorgeous card, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks magnificent....fun technique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks amazing.. I just love that background. Looks like a wonderful technique.. You rocked it my friend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, WOW, is this a great card! Love all the elements on this one, and the design is fabulous! It oozes "nature"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a way to start my day, reading such a wonderful post, thank you. Love your card and the technique is great, thanks for sharing. Thanks for joining us at Unscripted Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card!!! It's so fun and I love reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty! I haven't ever tried this technique- but now I will! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful card love how you did the faux leather look and the take on the sketch is great. Thanks for joining us this week on Unscripted Sketches. Hope you join us next week.
    Billie A
    http://stampinwithinkonmyfingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love this card, and what a hilarious blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! This turned out great. It could even be a manly nature card. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the background...must try this technique! Gorgeous card, Lauren! Thanks for playing at Unscripted Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the natural look to this card. Outdoorsy is awesome. Thanks for playing at Unscripted Sketches.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~