Sunday, August 15, 2010

is it monday already?!

ok, not quite, but yesterday my darling stef sent me a link to a very cool new challenge site called simon says stamp and show and their very first challenge is entitled THINGS WITH WINGS, a category which...as stef pointed out...is right up my alley... :) so i just had to make something ASAP and post it today in order to meet the deadline!

since i still had a bunch of vintage french language items sitting out from making my hearts challenge card, it seemed easier and more fun to use them than clean 'em up, so they became the starting points for my collaged background and collaged butterfly:

(~materials~ vintage: parisian maps, lettering from a french storybook ("c'est vrai?"), sheet music, french grammar lesson, sewing pattern (reduced & copied onto plain paper); digi: house borders & french ooh la la tickets by rhonna farrer, house of 3; overlays with a twist #2 from vera lim designs; skinny calendar by jennifer pebbles, 2peas; cherry sugar sunshine paper by girl friday, digichick; regular scrappy supplies: chipboard butterfly: frances meyer; stamped butterfly: hero arts (embossed with psx on basic grey paper); grungeboard flourish: tim holtz; inks: colorbox, ranger, stewart superior; paint: distress crackle by ranger; paper flower: recollections; labels: dymo; gothic arch template: donna's template from the gothic arches challenge site; velvet & lace ribbon: brooklyn general; pen: copic; ink jet transparencies: 3m; adhesives: tombow monorunner, 3m foam tape, uhu gluestick, hot glue, sewing machine)


as you can see, i used quite a few digital products on this...but in a really low-tech way! i love to layer transparencies into my collages, many of which i custom make using a combination of digi-stuffs... (i talk about the specifics of that in this post, if you are interested!) ...the only drawback of this method being that inkjet transparency sheets are not cheap, so when i only need one or two little things printed out, i still fill up the entire 8.5 x 11" sheet just using my favorite brushes or frames or borders, so as not to waste it. everything here that is digi--the fancy border at the bottom, the pink sheet with the leaves on it, the skinny calendar on the butterfly, etc-- are all "extra" bits that were printed at various times and filed away with my scraps. gotta love a project that comes together using mostly leftovers, right?! ♥♥♥

13 comments:

  1. So glad your friend told you about us!! and that you made it in time cause your creation is AMAZING!!!

    thanks bunches for playing along with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a last minute to this challenge too and spotted your entry near mine - had to pop over to elt you know I think your Arch is gorgeous...Love all the detail and colours..Esther x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!! Wowsers! I can't believe you threw this together. I love that site. I haven't seen it before. Off to check it out some more. Maybe I'll get my crafty on and do something tonight too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your talent. This piece is FABULOUS. I love your style. All pink and blingy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swooooon - love that amazing pink! This is just fabulous Lauren, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the unique shape and the butterfly is gorgeous!! beautiful tag, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A*MAZ*ING!!! Wow!! I just LOVE your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy heck, woman!
    you never cease to amaze! this is gorgeous. i LOVE the hot pink, and all those yummy layers! and le francais? mais oui, c'est tres fantastique!

    i was thinking of you today when i put my card together - we need to hang out again soon! what's september like for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love it when you do your collage-y thang! Beautiful layers and colors. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted you to know that I read every.single.post, even though I rarely comment. I just love the collage-y thing you do, cuz I can't do it. ;( *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Lauren...Love all your yummy layers and the shape make the card stand out.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES!!! Leftover projects are the best sometimes, and you always seem to know just what to do with your bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~