Wednesday, August 18, 2010

amy's friday flashback challenge!

last week my lovely blogging friend amy tsuruta challenged us to re-post the very first card we ever showed on our blogs. hers--which is rather awesome, actually--is here. mine, which is from june 16th, 2007...was from my very first CAARDVARKS challenge; the assignment was to mix papers from at least three different manufacturers. this is the outside:


and this is the inside (even then, it was odd enough for me to decorate the inside of a card that i made sure to scan the proof!):

ok, admittedly, i went a bit overboard on the faux stitching...but i still quite like this card, and i re-post it proudly, with not so much as a cringe! but i do feel it's cheating a bit to leave it at that, because me being me, i had done everything bass-ackwards, and i only started blogging AFTER i was chosen for the CAARDVARKS dt! up until then i had been posting my cards online at lifetime moments (a 2peas-like store/gallery/community for papercrafters) for about a year and a half. unfortunately LM has since closed, so i cannot say definitively what i posted FIRST, but i can tell you that all three of these are from sept/oct 2005, and i was really REALLY into making 100% customized cards, and it was CRUCIAL to me that each one prominently featured the recipient's name on the front of the card!!! :)

this first card was one of my very first collage cards, made for my brother; it was double-sided, so i've showed the front & back side by side; you can see i already loved vintage items, map & newspaper backgrounds, and dymo labels!!! (so not much has changed, eh?!)


the next card i remember quite vividly as being one of the very first times i deliberately set out to copy someone else's style! the artist in question was called "suzy w", she was on the lifetime moments' design team, and i can remember being blown away by both the amount and eclectic-ness of product she used! i wish i had something of hers to show you, b/c this is a poor imitation...but i remember being SO PROUD of it, and i could not wait to scan it and show it in my own newly created LM gallery!!! (it was for my friend cassie, who'd've been 8 or 9 then, i suppose.)

this last card, which i sort of think of as my first "home run", was made for my favorite cousin. i loved it then, and i am not ashamed to say i love it still...though i do wish it was not so horribly crooked! it combines a photo from a magazine, my own computer generated caption, and a few scrappy products, and it still makes me laugh when i look at it:

right, so there you have it: lauren cards...the early days! :) whaddaya say? want to show yours? amy is giving us until midnight on friday (8-20), and if you leave her a link on this post, you have a shot at some fun blog candy! ♥♥♥

11 comments:

  1. yahoooooooo!!!! I'm sooooo glad that you played along in my Flashback Friday Challenge!!!! Check you out...you've been consistently FABulous....lovin' all your goodness girlie!!!!!

    ahem...I got me some fabbie'licious happy mail!!!!! woot wootie woot woot!!!! Thanks soooooooooo much girlie...you spoil me...seriously....I'm always blown away by Lauren originals....thanks for being ♥you♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. clearly you've ALWAYS been a GENIUS!! These are soooooo fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Lauren for sharing this, and I think they all look fabulous...I only have to go back to july 2009 to find my first card....!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even with my spotty memory, I totally remember your first card postings at Lifetime Moments. You were a standout then and a standout now. Visiting your blog is a daily smile for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreeing with the ladies who've commented before me... always an artiste, girlie! and still rockin', just moreso! i may be inspired to do this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love the birdie card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! your first cards are amazing already!! you have kept so true to your own style and that what i really love about ya! fab cards!! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing card maker. I love your first cards. Your style is so fun and cheery. I LOVE it. It's so much fun looking at everyone's first card posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sure these are your first cards... however I wouldn't expect anything less from you, miss fabby lauren! All of the cards are wonderful- especially the collages!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Lauren the early years! No wonder they picked you to be in the design team for Caardvarks great card! So very Lauren even back then. I'm interested now to find out who you were trying to do a card like with that name one. I might have to nose around a little to see who this was in question. lol. Love the post! I'm almost too embarrassed to post mine. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I like these too...you have become more talented, but this is proof that it was always there! Your terrific sense of humor (Richard's card); pink, flowers, gems of many varied ephemera (Cassie's card...even if you may have been inspired by someone else); and your use of maps, dymo (Bill's card).

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~