Thursday, April 8, 2010

i was missing the monstas!

and it's quite a long time until next christmas, so i figured i'd break them out for our nephew's birthday. he's turning 15 and arguably--by uncle jeff's reckoning, anyway-- too mature for this kind of thing; but life has given him an aunt who is definitely NOT TOO MATURE for this kind of thing. as family dynamics go, he's still doin' better than most, i'd say!

i used card positioning systems' sketch number 161. it's a dandy, imo, and the rounded rectangle shapes just sorta said "outer space" to me...hence the monsta theme!



i only realized just now, as i went to grab the link, that i inadvertently flipped it during printing. which is why my card is the other way round...but none the worse for it, i don't think:

(monstas cut from paperchase giftwrap; patterned paper: dcwv, love elsie; glossy black cardstock: ranger; plain white paper: staples; vintage: game pieces (they were square tokens with stars on, i cut the stars out); rub-on: carolee's creations; adhesives: tombow monorunner, 3m foam tape)

i wish i had preserved the proportions of the sketch a bit better, though. specifically the black and silver star panel is a little too wide in my version, and it makes the card feel slightly crowded. this is what you get for cutting the card base FIRST and being too lazy to get up and get another piece of cardstock. ah well, worse things happen at sea...and in space...yet alien monstas still seem pretty cheerful, don't they? what a good example they set! :)

14 comments:

  1. Monsta goodness....I don't think a 15 year old is too old for monsta's.....he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfect just the way it is!
    I DO love that great scripty patterned paper :)
    SUPER fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 year old and monstas kinda go together. This card is wonderful. Did you get scans of that wonderful wrapping paper??? Digi monstas! Oh, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so blasted cute and fun!! I would argue that NO ONE should ever be too mature for this kind of thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man, I do so love your monstas!! I even have a monsta stamp set because of you! I might have to CASE this! I MIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun card! I like the sketch and you really did it justice. Monstas and stars--great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I am DEFINITELY not too mature for it, I LOVE it! Although it has an unfair advantage in that it IS a Lauren Monsta card and therefore completely impossible to not love!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Uncle jeff might be wrong - I think he'll love it... and if he doesn't please send them marvellous monstas over to my place!!!!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. love those monsters! too fun! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome Monsta Posse ... perfect masculine design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Monstar is back... How cool is this.. I love it and I'm sure your nephew's gonna love it ( Not that I even try to pretend beeing 15) but I still love it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the monstas and I think a teenage boy would be into it, sometimes they can BE monstas. lol

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~