Thursday, April 29, 2010

i had several challenges in mind...

...when i started this card.

for example, the current theme at jacksonbelle embellishments is to use kraft as the base of your card; design dollies' monday color challenge is to combine craft with bright colors of your choice; and both 365 cards and 2S4Y have particularly nice sketches this week. all of this was in my head, but somehow *NONE* of it came out in the card. go figure. about halfway through i realized what was coming out in the card: the gorgeous "crazy trousseau robe" stef and i saw at the folk art museum's women only exhibit last week:

i did actually start out with a kraft base...it just somehow got a bit consumed by the loads and loads of pink scraps that make up my "crazy card" base. i glued everything down, then machine-stiched a bit wonkily around the scraps and the entire perimeter. i hand-stitched some flourishes in pink...which actually didn't show up quite as well as i was hoping...so i enhanced them a bit further with a michaels' rhinestone flourish. the coat didn't have any flowers, but cards kind of need a focal point, so i stacked a few florals and it wound up looking a bit like this:


(kraft cardstock: bazzill; patterned paper: doodlebug, crafty secrets, prima, paper co, basic grey; florals: amanda blu, doodlebug, marah johnson; embroidery floss: dmc; rhinestone flourish: recollections; ink: colorbox; adhesives: tombow monorunner, 3m foam tape)

so now that this thing is out of my system, maybe i can work on some of those challenges, eh??! :)

13 comments:

  1. I think you're good on both of the kraft challenges ... the base shows & it looks maaahhhvalous with the pink. So thrilled to see how you translated that fabulous robe into this gorgeous patchwork card ... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous. I agree with Stef, this card is good on the kraft. It really makes the pink pop. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good grief woman...this is fantabulous!!! I'm ALWAYS impressed when peeps use their scraps...I don't...I hear gasps out there...I recycle them to a crafty friend of mine that doesn't have the crafting shopping addiction that I do:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY cool!!! I love the crazy quilt look of this one...a GENIUS way to use up your scraps!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantabulous!! love, love, love the crazy quilt look!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh!!! This is so cool. How can you not look at that coat and become obsessed and totally inspired!! I love this card. So much Laureny goodness. I need to get on the ball for the 2S4Y card too. Caardvarks is calling also. Mono colored card. Eep!

    I can't wait to see what you do with 2s4y its about time for a 5 fabber week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of this one! The scallop border is wicked too, I never thought of that! hot card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was *shocked* when you chose pink ;) I have a flower embellie very similar to this from my b-day package you sent last autumn. Your card is perfect for the challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! love your crazy quilted card! i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might even begin to like pink! (which is a completely *crazy* statement)
    But I certainly love the way you crazy quilted the pieces all together. Now, if only you could teach me to sew.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lauren, I wish Jana and I could get you to our neck of the woods -we'd fight over where you'd stay though...sigh...I love this card. The sumptuous colors, the bling, the flowers, the.....(oh, I swooned, sorry - LOL). Did I mention I really really like this????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooooo pretty! That color combo is divine... Thanks for playing along at Jacksonbelle:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ♥♥ Stitching ♥♥ rhinestone ♥♥ fantabulous (love that word )♥♥ This is a masterpiece Lauren.. Great use of scraps... You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~