Sunday, June 24, 2012

because it's SUNday...

...and because i can never resist a title which writes itself, lol! ...and because i'm so excited about this one i'm going to show you my card first thing and then explain:

(patterned paper scraps--off the top of my head: paper co, glitz, imaginisce, echo park, dcwv,  sei, k and co, 7 gypsies, current, gcd, creative imaginations + origami paper + pink paislee packaging + some glimmer mist experiments of mine... a little bit of EVERYTHING really!; decorative tapes: freckled fawn, hambly, making memories, heidi swapp, ocheck, 7 gypsies; plastic alphas: tim holtz; adhesives: scotch gluestick, tombow monorunner, sewing machine)

i'm absolutely ALWAYS inspired by laurel seabrook's "inspired by challenges", even in the weeks i don't get a chance to play. i love the variety of the images, i love the unique and amazing projects laurel creates each week, and i love how open she is to an array of entries which take ANY facet of the inspirational image and run in ANY direction with it, however tangential the finished item might turn out to be! this time, however, i've gone preeeeeeeeeetty much as literally as one possibly could without using fabric. you've seen my card, so now here's this week's "inspired by image" (#29):



told ya!!! :) but then i really do just ♥LOVE♥ making sunburst cards* and haven't made one in far too long, so i could not resist. also, i happened to see the photo, after unexpectedly coming across the yellow torn-paper-mosaic (made but abandoned some time ago) and i knew it would make an awesome sunshine; plus... i'd just seen this week's colour q palette (#142) which is BRILLIANT in every sense of the word:


of course, i realize i have A LOT more shades of yellow, and hardly any coral, so i will understand if my card is disqualified for that one!


whatever happens, i do hope this day will find ♥YOU♥ awash in sunshine... whether it be the literal weather-based type, or the figurative "pleasant weekend" type. shine on, darlings! ♥

*the lovely miss june reminded me recently that i actually wrote a little semi-tutorial a few years ago, on how to very easily make nice neat sunburst sections; however i didn't use it to make this one, i just winged it, cutting wedge shapes, letting them overlap a bit, and "adjusting" a bit using decorative tape over top. i kind of like the wonky look, actually, but it you don't, use a ruler and make your segments uniform for a more polished take!

15 comments:

  1. there you go being all stealth ninja like with the thickers and stitching:) This is wonderful and I love it to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sunshiney gorgeous Lauren! I agree, I am also inspired by Laurel's choice of inspiration even when I don't have time to play along, like lately! Amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my sweet Lauren, you totally rocked both challenges IMHO even without a bit of coral. I am definitely going to give this a try again; I actually have had a design in my head for the past couple of weeks, but no time to create. Your black stitched rays are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an absolute gorgeous take on this! Love the collage, love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS, gorgeous, gorgeous card Lauren - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ACK! TYPO! DO-OVER!

    Another FAB-U-LOUS creation! I have several sun-burst templates and have yet to use even one of them. I like your idea of using strips of paper, overlapping them and winging it -- totally something *I* can do without getting to fussy. I might be allergic to fussy.

    In other news, I've added the Inspired By challenge blog to my list of "I'll get to these some day before I die" section in Reader to replace the two that shut their doors this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looooove it! The stitching is fabby. I've been meaning to try a sunburst pattern but haven't got up the nerve yet. Perhaps I'll try it on an index card first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice stitch details, make the sun really pop. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing, I love the added stitching and the title of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!! LOVE IT! This is just over the top wonderful with all the pretty DP and the colors and - everything!
    Beautiful card - and now you've inspired me to try one.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty card, Lauren! LOVE that sunburst, and I had one on my CQC page for this week, too! Ha! I have so missed you and the JB girls & I will be back to play soon. My Christmas card mojo rte ally seems to be lacking this year. :( Hope you are doing well and having a wonderful summer:) **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lauren, your card and quilt are lovely! I love the way you used the colors, no one said there had to be a lot of a certain color! Thanks for joining us this week at the ColourQ and sharing your card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the stitching - it really adds to your card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing ... I have to bookmark this one!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~