Saturday, June 2, 2012

sometimes when you combine challenges you get amazingly serendipitous results!

 ...and sometimes you just get a bit of a muddle. alas, this card falls into the latter category, i fear:

(vintage: masked and misted book paper, battenburg flower, postage stamps; patterned paper: basic grey, pink paislee, mme; digi stuffs: house of three "spring junque"; pearl flourish: prima; loose pearls: kaiser; tissue tape: tim holtz; brad: my mind's eye; stickers: ka nd co, sticko; white glossy cardstock: ranger; border punch: martha stewart; adhesives: tombow monorunner, 3m foam tape, scotch gluestick, gluedots)

because, whereas i absolutely ♥LOVE♥ all three challenges i combined... which were city crafter's "ticket to ride" (use at least one ticket AND a mode of transportation in your design):


the beautiful, soft, summery current palettte at color throwdown (#194):




somehow, i think that i got so over-focused on trying to meet the various requirements that i sort of, in the words of my new blogging friend gini,  "forgot to ensure it made a pleasing looking card."* yeah. that's totally what happened here. :)

there are some things i really like about this one, though: the strips of tissue tape which make up the pennant-shaped bit of the sketch; the fact that i used up a lot of little leftover bits and bobs; and, especially, test-driving a set of colors i might not have thought of otherwise. so i'm gonna chalk this one up as a triumph of experimentation-- if not design-- and move on to the next thing! 

happy weekend, darlings! ♥

*for the record, when gini said that about these amazing cards she made for opus gluei's "sew what" challenge i HEARILTY DISAGREED; in fact they are every bit as beautiful as they are cool and original!!! ♥♥♥

10 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! I think I love gini. "forgot to ensure it made a pleasing looking card" could be my motto. HOWEVER, YOUR cards are always pleasing and put-together. YOU have the collage gene. Yes, ma'am!

    Although I do agree that combining too many challenges can cause one to lose focus and create something completely unintended, but isn't that the BEST PART about this craft? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I heartily disagree with you ... this is a lovely creation ... I just love the interest here ... thanks so much for playing along at CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost mucked-up a card yesterday by trying to fit in a challenge ... was grateful I just let it be and walked away ... but you're right, I love the various elements of the design & you rocked those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the colors...I'd love for you to link up with me at 52 Card Pickup this week!

    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/06/52-card-pickup-week-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you fit all the challenge in.. It looks fabulous. So many yummy layers.. So glad you joined us over at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha great card. Yours is surely eye pleasing. Gorgeous I love it! I made a card for day two of June! I really got into it. I'm hoping to brain storm for day two now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is just absolutely GORGEOUS! Wow! Just love this to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU always makes everything FABulous....awesome card!

    I have to tell you, my friend LOVED her mini album!!!! Huge hit!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, this happens to me ALL THE TIME! I still think its a pretty card, love the vintage style of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your fun card, Lauren, there are so many lovely things to see! So glad you joined in the fun at the City Crafter blog this week.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~