Tuesday, May 29, 2012

cheryl nelson should really get half the credit for this!

afterall, it is she (well, ALL the CCCB ladies, but especially cheryl) who made me really LOVE doilies again, and without that little push i would never have made either the dogwood card or this one! but i'm getting a little ahead of myself... first... i should really say...

HELLO, darlings, and welcome to shopping our stash challenge #53 about which the lovely miss carla says this:

May Flowers 
Anything floral related- flowers, floral, roses, sunflowers, gardens, vases, potted flowers, etc; you can use paper with flowers in the design or use flowers as embellies as well (not just limited to floral images).

so that's easy, right? who doesn't love flowers?! whilst i was considering what to make, i was also surfing around a bit, and saw that the doilies and lace challenge at moxie fab world wants us to use a "doily or lace in an innovative way"; then i saw that the current assignment at the order of the opus gluei (where i've not played in waaaaaaaaaaay too long!!!) is ♥SEW WHAT♥ for which they ask us to, well, *sew* on a project. so i started thinking about ALL of those things, and grabbing some supplies, and at the end of a long, inky, painty, stampy, sewing-machine-intensive evening i had this:

(patterned paper: pink paislee; mists and inks in various blues and greens: glimmer mist, maya mist, radiant rain, smooch spritz, ranger re-inkers and distress inks, colorbox pigment and chalk inks;   other: paper doilies, individual fake white hydrangea blossoms from a michaels stem (plus some prima paper flowers), tiny pearls, sewing machine; adhesives: tombow monorunner, gluedots, scotch gluestick)

lovely husband jeff refers to cards of this type as "science experiments" because of the fact that i usually wind up standing at our kitchen sink muttering, whilst surrounded by vials and bottles and sprays, and apparently he always has the vague impression that i *MIGHT* just possibly blow something up. or at least stain it irretrievably. fortunately this time the only things which changed color completely were the (previously white) flower blossoms, the pink paislee mistable "darling doilies" paper, and a tiiiiiiiiny little section at the edge of our dish drainer where i let my stamps dry, which, now that i come to think of it, might have been a bit blue just there when we got it... no, honestly...

i did go a tiny bit crazy with a bunch of different mists; then i used a few understated pattern stamps to add more colors of blue and green in the form of distress and chalk inks, and then, when i had the background the way i wanted, i stamped the top half of donna downey's glorious hollyhocks... which became the "shadow" for my sewn-on petals. at the end, i added bits of real doily to the shiny resist ones on the paper, did a bunch more sewing, and called it a night. 

  
i hope you'll stop by SOS and see the super-inspiring DT examples, before heading off to ♥YOUR♥ crafty laboratory in pursuit of your own wonderful, super-fun, flowery experiments; then link them up before next monday, june (already! can you BELIEVE it?!) 4th!

15 comments:

  1. My mists mostly remain in the drawer...I refrain from messes, but at the same time I wish I used them more, you know? I fought the doily thing a little, but now I wish I had more of them; I have used all of mine from my SPS monthly kits and AD monthly kits....perhaps I can find the small pack of Martha Stewart ones around here somewhere...

    As always, you inspire me with your fab techniques, sewing, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the "strings of flowers" and all the super fun misting with the doilies. This is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love all the doiley's and the stitching of those petals is awesome! So unique and just beautiful!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just a gorgeous sample for mists and doilies. I love both of those items and have crazy amounts of them. We need to tell June to look in the baking aisle of her supermarket or craft store. I get my doilies at the dollar store in packages of 25 for a dollar. At the craft store I think it was 8 doilies for $6??? Crazy. Love your stitching too. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! this is just beautiful! Love what you did with the flowers...looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren!
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog :-)
    I think your long, inky, painty, stampy, sewing-machine-intensive evening sounds pretty perfect to me and so is your beautiful, bright and happy card, your stitching on top of the flowers is brilliant!!
    Thank you so much for joining Opus Gluei again.
    Gini
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so terrific ... love your creativity my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, this is beyond gorgeous! Love the blue shades and clever use of the flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha...I have been using a lot of doilies lately. Whereas I've USED the doilies...YOU have completely ROCKED the use of doilies!!! HOLY MOLY what is not to LOVE here...the GENIUS use of the doilies...the AMAZING background...those EXQUISITE flowers with the STITCHING!! All I have to say is I bow to the QUEEN OF GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this one, it looks even prettier here, love the colors, love "the string" of blooms and of course, I love doilies!!!!!
    Thanks for the wonderful birthday present and the well wishes!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me want to go out and play with my mists and stains now, Lauren. It is wonderful to have you back with us at Opus Gluei!!!

    This card is fantastic, I love the rich vibrant color and textures. The doily resist makes everything pop and look fab together!

    So nice to see your name in the thumbnail links, I hope we get you back here to Opus Gluei some more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha science experiments!! Thats totally what I do! I have blue mist everywhere and I'm filing up misters and shaking them up. There's alcohol inks sliding around.haha Love the card. It turned out amazing. Your totally inspiring me to branch out.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~