Thursday, July 30, 2009

52Q: 24 (understand)

it's sort of a deep 52Q this time, which is why it's taken me longer. first i had to think what i wanted to say...then i had to figure out how to say it...then it needed to be visual, as well.

question 24: "name something you don't understand, but want to"

(digital card created in broderbund printshop; background paper: gabriella by laura skathi; flourishes: hipster plume korners-n-edges #4 by anna aspnes, designer digitals; business form overlay: "bits of history" scrapartist; arty frame & little magic fairy sparkles: vera lim; fonts: diesel, broken 15 & ck typewriter)

text reads, "this probably sounds crazy, but...i wish understood prejudice. not to validate it--au contraire!--but because it still seems to play such a dismayingly large part in our world, and it feels like the divides between religions, races and nations are becoming ever more deeply entrenched. maybe if we *knew* why so many people seem to hate each other ON PRINCIPLE, without even knowing each other, there would be something we could do on a "grass roots" level to try and stop it?"


i have to confess that several times in the course of working on this, i considered changing my answer and just saying, "spanish"!* but the more i thought about it, the more i realized that this is my real answer, so i just kept plugging away until i had something that vaguely expressed how i have felt from the first time i heard a racial slur, in about third grade... (which i had ask the speaker to explain to me; which must've rather taken the wind out of his sails, to have a gangly and earnest 9-year-old interrupting to ask,"but wait...that doesn't make sense...what does that MEAN??!") ...to the present day. i mean, i am very GLAD i do not have those feelings...but on the other hand, i cannot help but think that this is sort of a vital thing. i know it's gotta be based on fear, but fear of WHAT, exactly? and is there anything anyone can *DO* about it??!

ok, see, i told you it got a bit deep. sorry about that. why don't we all take a little break now and enjoy a hilariously captioned cat photo or perhaps some baby zoo animals before we get on with our day? hope you are having a wonderful week, but if not...

hey! tomorrow's FRIDAY, darlings!!!
~♥♥♥♥♥~


*because certainly my spanish--which dates from high school--could use improvement; consisting, as it does of many nouns, some imperfectly conjugated verbs, a lot of friendly smiling, and what i'm sure is a hilarious tendency to break into MIME when i run out of words. lo siento, senor nissly! :)

8 comments:

  1. What a fabulous answer. I don;t get it either and I have my mother's husband here right now (have I mentioned this?;) and there is an undercurrent of prejudice in response to nearly every news item either on tv or in the paper. My mother knows to tread carefully but feels she still has a 'right to express her views' but he just would not understand why there was a problem!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment! I love your thoughts in this blog entry - 1. because prejudice is one of the things I don't understand either 2. because during the reading, I think I understood parts of the problem which is the "not knowing each other"... Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, deep thoughts AND captioned cat photos in the same blog entry? Only you could pull that off! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh....leave it to Ann to lighten the mood...good grief, such a heavy subject Lauren. It is definitely something that I've pondered all through my life....I think for different people it is based on different feelings...upbringing...generational issues...Very interesting question...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I like that you chose a sensitive area to touch on for this...gives us pause to consider and be thoughtful. I also enjoy that you threw in a lolcat to lighten things up! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muy bien; me gusta tu respuesta :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lauren...well said! I so appreciate that you stuck with your real answer! Unfortunately, it may be one of those things that you never understand, but still I am glad to know there are people out there like you pondering it!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answer. I will never understand prejudice, but it's so abundant in this world. It's impossible to escape. Thanks for your thoughts1

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~