Thursday, January 5, 2017

put a hex on it

here's a funny story*: last weekend amid all the holiday hijinks i had a tiny window of free time and thought, "AHA! i will get ahead for SOS!" since i 'remembered' (note the air quotes... they may turn out to be foreshadowing...) that the brief this week would be to feature a shape apart from circles and squares on our cards** i got to work on an ordinary rectangular(ish) card, with lots of hexagons on it. and it came out wonderfully well, if i do say so myself:

patterned paper: prima, blue fern studios; chipboard hexagon stickers, diecut library card and birthday sentiment: /pink paislee; floral: prima; bumpy heart bling: eyelet outlet; glossy white kromekote cardstock: the paper cut; ink: colorbox; scraps of ribbon and lace from my stash; adhesives: elmers brand gluetape, 3m foam tape, staple 

of course, it's not remotely correct for shopping our stash, where we are actually looking for SHAPED cards and projects, as everyone else in the world, no matter what their first language is, surely got from one quick reading of even just the title, "Shape Up". it really *IS* a cute card though, dontcha think? mostly that's because i found the aforesaid ancient chipboard hexie stickers, with a kind of beachy theme, which were perfect to showcase the adorable flamingo my lovely and thoughtful SOS dt sister barbara diecut for me. but also, i had this week's sketch saturday layout, which is pretty flippin' fab:


so i guess the moral of this story is that it's never a bad idea to go back and check on things we think we remember. on the other hand, if you do get it wrong, you might make something cool by mistake... which is still kind of excellent, in a completely different way... ♥

*unless you're me, lol, and then it's just a bit sad, actually...
**seriously?! HOW did i think this was right??! when has this EVER been a challenge ANYWHERE??!?!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren, Happy New Year to you. I am LOL I do this all the time..I love your card, it is so beachy and fun and summery, which I am longing for right now, great fit to the sketch too. I love an accidental card. Thanks for joining us at Sketch Saturday this time. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Lauren, funny story. Gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's only 5th January and you've found use for a flamingo in there ☺️. I'm sure you'll get away without the shaped card this time lol.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your card is gorgeous, but my mind was heading the same way, then I saw some sneak peeks and they were shaped so in the 11th hour I had to swiftly change stream. What a fabulous take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~