Thursday, September 23, 2010

ok, van gogh!*

arrrrrgh it has been TWO WEEKS since i've done a challenge at something completely different, which is especially upsetting because this month's format is ARCHES! i looooooooooove arches!!! sheesh. anyway, sliding in at the very VERY last minute with this week's theme of stars i decided to cheat and (sort of/kind of) copy van gogh's starry night. because if you're going to copy...pick something AWESOME, right?!



since i am emphatically NOT an oil painting genius, my version consists of spray inks, watercolors, and hand- and machine-stitching for texture. ok, it's a loose version. very loose. no town, no trees, no mountains...i stuck with the much-easier-to-render stars and swirls. of course, my canvas is a lot smaller (roughly 7x6"); on the plus side, i do still have both my ears! :)


tune in next week when i'll be re-creating boticelli's la primavera entirely out of elbow macaroni.**




*speaking (tangentially) of the band "ok, go!": i did not think anything could beat the here it goes again video for sheer creative hilarity; but that was before i saw THE DOGS!!! :) :) :)

**kidding! (it's a funny mental picture though, isn't it? i'm seeing an entire gallery of the uffizi devoted to masterpieces made of pasta!) (...i should really not write blogposts whilst hungry, should i...?!)

15 comments:

  1. I saw the pic of this one on someone elses blog, so I had to take a peek. I think it's awesome! I love the sewing, the colours, the stars, the notes.. everything! Every little detail looks just perfect, to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Yes..Starry Nights one of my all time favs! Beautiful interpretation....glad you shared your arch with us at SCD :)
    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that quote by George Bernard Shaw “We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing”?

    That quote reminds me of you Lauren, you're soooooo creative and you seem so so so playful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing work of art, girl! beautiful colors and love all the stitching! super card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the OK(Van)Go links - I just went and watched them. I remember the treadmill one, but I've never seen the dog one - clever! You never cease to amaze me with the layers of "stuff" you do - whether ink, thread, whatever! My brain just does not think that way - I'm afraid I'm a clean-lined kinda girl...*sigh*...I'll just have to keep admiring your particular creative genius, I s'pose... I agree with Agnes - you'll probably never get old - good for you, I say! (I'm doin' my darndest to keep playin', too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea and fantastic make! Thanks so much for playing along with us again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent rendering of starry night (and I immediately recognized your influence BEFORE reading the post). I agree with a previous poster - you have so many layers of creativity it is a distinct pleasure to come over here and see what you've created because it will always be beautiful and highly original. glad you got your project in under the wire - and retained your ears, one shouldn't suffer THAT much for art.

    OMG - laughed out loud at work about the videos, I didn't know they had done the one with the dogs! Amazing!

    (btw, you can not only bring chips to the incredible happy beach place but also bring Daniel Craig in his teeny weeny man bikini - he's FABULOUS)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovin' your interpretation! Your stitching is amazing!
    *man...I was looking forward to the macaroni creation...and now you have me hungry, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always crack me up! LOVE the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think van Gogh would agree in the fact that this card is supercool.

    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is dhDH's fave painting! We have one framed and hanging near his computer. We also have it as a cutting board in our kitchen :)

    Excellent!

    You are so cute with your pasta art. Hopefully LHJ fixed you a delicious meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. Love the colors and the ♥stitching♥ is soooo you Lauren . Great artwork.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Van Gogh. This is awesome!! I am loving all the stitching. I'm waiting for something other than arches on SCD because I'm totally not feeling them for some reason,but then I see something utterly cool like this and I think...hmm maybe. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, the colors are perfect and the sewing is such a terrific touch! Who doesn't love VG and your tribute is simply amaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~