Sunday, September 5, 2010

it's ♥SUN♥ day! (could you BE more literal, lauren??!)

as i think i've mentioned before: titles are the hardest part of blogging, imo; so i never, EVER, overlook an easy one--no matter how obnoxiously obvious it might be!!! :)

but why is sunday significant, you ask? well, all week i've been thinking about what i would make for this week's city crafter challenge, which is LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE. being as this week is hosted by my lovely friend cheryl nelson and the guest designer is my equally lovely friend amy tsuruta, i thought i should do something especially nice! and then i saw heidi's sketch at sketchy thursdays:


right. so i've got "SHINE"... and a big half circle in the middle of my page... hmmmmmmm... whatever shall i do next, lol??! *THEN* i saw these gorgeous yellow rose bobby pins by glamasaurus--the etsy inspired challenge featured artist this week-- and when the idea of yellow, turquoise and roses mixed in with my other inspirations... it all sort of fell into place:


originally the card ended at the blue cardstock panel (which opened as a top-fold), until the VERY LAST pass of the sewing machine to secure the lovely websters pages rose trim in which i accidentally sewed the card shut!!!!!!!!!! (arrrrrrrrrggh!!!) but actually, i had been thinking it was a wee bit small, and wondering if i ought to mount the whole thing on a larger panel, perhaps with a white mat in between? so i took the sewing mishap to be a sign that *YES* i should do just that! ;)

of course, i could have posted this saturday night, or monday morning...but for some reason, i decided to do it on ♥SUN♥ day. go figure!!! :)

(~materials~ a lot of miscellaneous yellow patterned paper scraps xyroned with permanent adhesive and then torn into small "mosaic-like" pieces & attached to some fancy pants chipboard; vintage sheet music watercolored and sprayed with various inks; core'dinations cardstock; ranger glossy cardstock; crocodile embossed vinyl art paper from pearl paint; sassafras border strips; websters "bloomers" trim; doodlebug alphas; stewart superior india ink pad; adhesives: tombow monorunner, uhu gluestick, 3m foam tape, sewing machine)

25 comments:

  1. very pretty ..........thanks for joining us at the CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::sun::day...woot woot for ::sun::day!! (on my iPod....no hearts...boo hooo). This is sooooooo fabbie!!!!! Such a sunny, happy card!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful day where I live today, also! Your Your sunny creation is amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I always say that there are no mistakes in crafting ... just another creation ... and many of my creations are certainly not what I had originally planned!
    Thanks so much for joining us this week at CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever clever! the idea, the creativity.... this is fabulous! Thanks for playing along with us at CCCB! Always good to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the card! Love the sunshine! And LOVE that you sewed it shut!!! hahahhahahhahahah!! Something I would totally do! :) Thanks for always being the ST cardmaker for the week!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful. I love how this turned out. Maybe you have to frame this as it is so gorgeous (and sewn shut-lovely accident, huh!?).Thanks for playing with us at Etsy Inspired Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously cool card. Love, love, love the colors and the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BWAHAHAHA! Sewed your card shut! I would SO do that myself. A most-excellent SAVE though! FAB-U-LOUS, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! LOVE that big sun and the flower trim!! hehe, i am surprised that i haven't sawn any of my cards shut yet! LOVE how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way you used those yellow paper scraps to create your own handmade paper is amazing ... and sewing the card shut sounds exactly like something I would do ... although my favorite faux pas is to attach everything upside down on my card with it opening at the top, which usually necessitates, trimming of the front & adding another layer. Fabulous inspired design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful..Love your paper piecing and the rose ribbon looks fantastic... One masterpiece again Lauren..

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty~ you dont' usually go so literal, but totally worth it with this. Its so neat. I've done that before with sewing the card shut. lol. I usually just then mount it on another card. lol. I'm posting my ST layout tomorrow for this sketch. I should have done a card too. I like how you did this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely loving your card! The blue background/sky with the setting sun. Oh how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh this card is sooo super fabulous and creative!! I especially love the texture in the sun! Such a great design! Thanks for playing EIC!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is SOOOO gorgeous! Love that you were inspired by those pretty bobby pins!

    Thanks for playing EtsyInspired this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hehehehehe...I have actually done that before!!! LOL!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this!! that sun rocks!! Thanks sooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks awesome. Love the blue roses. Can totally see your inspiration too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooooooooh. I likey. Love that your mishap was a sign of things to do. Or rather a confirmation of what you had already been thinking. I LOVE this card.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~