yes, in fact, we did say bargello. because this week's challenge at shopping our stash is called "paper strip art" and we'd like to see projects that make use of the bargello technique! if, like a-week-ago me, you have no idea what that means, please click the link, which takes you to an awesome step-by-step tutorial by joan ervin on splitcoast stampers. it is actually very easy and a lot of fun to do, which is evidenced by the fact that a technique-free-zone such as myself was able to make not one, but TWO cards, pdq! see?
i made the panel for the snowman one first, which is how i discovered that you really shouldn't use a text paper as one of your patterned papers, because in addition to being cut into chunks too small to read, it will likely wound up oriented the wrong way around and just look really weird. also, while i like the red-on-red color palette, and the uniform size, the lack of contrast made the bargello pattern itself kind of fade into the background a bit too much for my taste.
so when it came to card two, i chose patterns without a "right side up", added more colors and varied the width of the strips. so the bargello pattern is much more the star of the show! i think it's definitely handy to be able to play the pattern up or down, though, and however you do it, the bargello technique* is an AWESOME way to use up offcuts of patterned paper, right?!
i'm linking my cards up to the "poinsettias OR snow is falling" challenge at winter wonderland, since i have one of each, lol! :)
jump on over to SOS to see what my design team darlings have done with this clever idea! ♥
*one other technique-based insight gleaned between cards 1 and 2: after you've shuffled your strips around a bit to get a pattern you like, apply adhesive all over a panel of plain white cardstock slightly larger than you'd like your card to be, and stick your paper strips to it, rather than applying adhesive to the strips themselves. i used my 9" xyron machine and it worked BRILLIANTLY, but you could easily use an ATG or even a glue stick! i also found that a bit of machine stitching around all the panels, enhanced the quilt-like vibe of these pieces, whilst also ensuring that even the tiniest bits of paper, stuck right to the edge, would remain securely attached!