Sunday, May 10, 2009

sweet cupcake

here's a card i made over the weekend, based on kazan's sketch 25 over at 2S4Y. i didn't finish it by the deadline. i actually didn't even start it by the deadline. but i LOVE this sketch--so much so that i printed it to save in my "print and save" notebook. i'll use it again, i'm sure of that.

you cannot tell from the (even crappier than usual--sorry--but it was a dark & rainy day) photo, but the star, the strawberry and the chipboard alphas are all glitter encrusted. i could get photos where you could tell the glittery bits by the big honkin' glare-y light bounce...or ones that were a bit dark and made all the papers look plain and dull. i went with the latter. believe it or not, this was a no-brainer! :(

(patterned paper: creative imaginations, making memories, prima, doodlebug, mustard moon; glitter cardstock: doodlebug; glossy white cardstock: ranger; fuzzy rub-ons: heidi swapp; glitter thickers: american crafts; pearl flourish: prima; other: paternayan persian needlepoint yarn, strawberry glitter rub-on from the dollar store, colorbox inks; adhesives: tombow monoadhesive runner, uhu gluestick, 3m foam tape & doublestick tape)

you will just have to trust me when i tell you that this card is easily 37% cooler in real life. maybe even 39% cooler. here is an equally crappy detail pic, which at least shows how the (exceptionally elderly) heidi pink fuzzy flower rub-ons give a frosting-like (in my head, anyway) effect on the cupcake top. and, for that matter, how the cupcake top is not plain pink, it's actually the reverse of a prima "angelique" paper with a subtle text print. see that strawberry rub-on? it's from the dollar store...i got a whole pack of glittery strawberries and cherries...they are meant to decorate your cellphone. and i have finally used the last bit of pearl flourish leftover from baby isabel's card. it required serious surgery to fit where i wanted it and point in the right direction, but i got there in the end!


hope your day has a bit o'cupcake in it...either a real one, or the paper-crafty variety!
♥♥♥

17 comments:

  1. How prescient of you. I was just saying to Pr. C-Dub and d/Boy this morning that we should make cakes today. They won't be as pretty but do you want one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pearl flourishes would make my head explode. Please remind me not to buy them. They are pretty enough, but the thought of APPLYING them ... I'll leave that to your obviously more-patient and capable fingers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutly `Deicous` Miss Lauren..Hope your having a wonderful weekend:)♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is divine! You have inspired me...I want to try to make a card like this...maybe with a flower instead of a star...lemme see what I have...

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute card, truly sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic take on the sketch! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is one "sweet" card. I love your take on the sketch (it is a fun one).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool sketch. I love what you did with it. The colour, cupcake and chipboard wording of sweet. So creative and crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous - love these colours and that strawberry... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this fun card. Great layout. It made me smile as soon as I saw it - very joyful. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, great colors and a yummy cake!!! Eventhough the pic is a bit "crappy" I like the shiny stuff!!

    (btw, did you get my email?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SERIOUSLY...I bet it 150% better in real life but it looks FABOOOSH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah I think this would easily be at least 63% cooler in real life...LOL. It's one *sweet* card for sure :)
    btw: I do that too...with the sketches. I always have the best of intentions of getting them done before the deadline...but real life tends to get in the way sometimes :) but it's nice to have a big ole book of sketches to kick start your creativity when the mojo goes on vacation...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lauren, no worries, I know that you card is magnificent...glitter/pink/cupcake'licious filled piece of goodness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lauren - I thtink your card looks scrumptious even crappy weather! Thanks for the comment on my blog and the tip on Moxie Fab World. I uploaded to that one as well. Whoo Hoo 4 challenges. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well what I'm seein' here is amazingly cool! I might not even be able to handle 39% more coolness!! Just gorgeous Lauren!

    I do hate when my photography skills don't match my paper crafting skills though. On a bad day I'll take 30+ pics trying to get the right shot an still not be happy!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guess what? I'm addicted to chapstick too - so yeah - let's be friends! Thanks for visiting my blog today, your comments were 39% cooler than any I'd ever dreamed! I really enjoyed my blog stop here - you definitely have a giddy super power and I see no evil lurking, it's all good! This glitter number here, melts my heart like a hot fudge sundae!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~