Wednesday, May 20, 2009

it's time to get in shape for summer!

hahahaha! just kidding!!! :)

hey, i know--let's make ♥SHAPED CARDS♥ instead! yeah! then we can enter them in the new CAARDVARKS challenge, which starts today and ends at midnight on june 3rd. we'll have to make *NEW* cards, of course, but they can be any shape we want them to be...just not rectangular or square. so we could make something basic that's round or triangular...or get really fanciful and make...oh...i dunno...maybe a GIANT CUPCAKE♥ or something??!?! nahhhhhhhhhhh...mebbe not...i mean, afterall, who'd be that silly??!?!

...apart from ME, obviously...

(patterned paper: prima, scrapbook wizard, making memories; flowers: prima, doodlebug; fancy brad: making memories; inks: colorbox; letter stickers: oriental trading co, crative imaginations; other: paternayan persian needlepoint yarn; adhesives: xyron, uhu gluestick, 3m foam tape)

it's hard to tell from the angle of the pics, but this thing is BIIIIIIIIG--slightly over 8 inches tall, when closed. i made the horizontal trifold base on a 12x18" piece of index stock, using a very VERY enlarged page from a clear scraps cupcake-shaped mini album (which the lovely stef got me!) i'll put a few more details of the process in a separate post, below, for those of you who like that sort of thing...and for anyone else who may be suffering from insomnia! :)

here is a very very bad photo of what the card looks like open. i am quite proud of those hinges, which manage to be rounded-looking, but are still straight enough to hold the card together. those of you who know me will realize that engineering is NOT my strong point. lovely husband jeff (who knows me rather well) was *shocked* (in the nicest, most supportive way) that i pulled this off without help! and hey, nobody was more surprised than ME!!! :)


you know how i say, for every single challenge, "be sure to go over to the CAARDVARKS blog and see the design team's magnificent work--it'll knock your socks off"?! well, it's *always* true...but this time...♥HOLY flippin' MOLY♥. you might want to take the precaution of removing your socks first, that's all i'm saying. seriously. (WOW!) while you're there, you can check out the details of the prize from SNR card universe, and learn how to upload your own creation via mr. linky! enjoy!

ps: if you want to see the template & instructions, there's a separate post, below!

14 comments:

  1. Congrats to you for a magnificent engineering job! I am engineeringly challenged (apparently that is not a word...) and geographically challenged. Yes, I have a Garmin gps in my car. It has relieved a ton of anxiety for me :)

    Now, is there a gadget to help me engineer a cool card like yours??? I guess a giant die cut would do the trick. You should have Ellison make you a die...then it would be your copyright! And I could say, "I knew her when..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, isn't that just a cupcake-licious card lauren?!!!! Sue-pah Sweet Sista!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinkin' this card is even better than an actual 8 inch cup cake!! (if you knew how much I liked cupcakes you'd realize that's sayin' A LOT!!)
    Fabulous Lauren!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMMMM, delicious! It kinda makes me want...well....a cupcake now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I recognized that cupcake ... aren't you super-clever. Could you please make my 8" cupcake German Chocolate :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally clever and totally delish! Love the results of your engineering debut. Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...not only is that card scrumptious looking, it's clever too! Well done to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG _I have been on weight watchers since February and lust/dream of cupcakes this big!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now i'll be the first to admit the whole cupcake frenzy is a little lost on me. But this cupcake I love. I love the frosting the best and I'm always a sucker for spots, dots and stripes. And that cute checkered flower is really stripes x2. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah..... this I like!!! Great card, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ADORABLE CARD!
    P.S. Hope you don't mind if I leave an additional comment. Visit The Original Scrapbox and check out their product

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just too...everything!! Thanks for the details..very funny! I love all the crew cards and yours is darling! I too have a problem with the "hinge" thing and it takes forever to get the engineering part down...sometimes wish I had paid more attention in math...or would it be science!!! Love how the card is a tri-fold, very creative. I love the papers you used and did you do stitching??? Delish...

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~