Saturday, December 18, 2010

heart the art double header (weeks 47 & 49)

i got a smidgeon behind on HEART the ART again, but i'm endeavoring to catch up before the last saturday of the year (which happens to be christmas!) so i can finish my 2010 year-long art journal project actually in 2010! i'm working slightly out of order, but as far as i know there's no law against that. :)

miss gina's prompt for week 49 was PAIR or PAIRS. of course my favorite pair is lovely husband jeff and myself. 2010 was quite a year; you may remember that we had a pretty scary 6 months while jeff was battling a serious case of vertigo. yet again i offer my thanks to every single person who left a comment, or wrote an email, or sent a card, or just generally kept us in your thoughts! it was MUCH appreciated and seems to have worked...he's doing really well!*


the page started out quite sensibly, i swear! we took an arm's length photo of ourselves and my intention was just to enhance it very slightly in photoshop and hit print. ...but somehow i clicked the "cutout" filter...and once i saw us as comic book characters...well, heck...you have to go where the muse takes you, right??!?!

when i scored a coveted--and unsolicited-- "oh wow, that's COOL!" from LHJ, i knew i'd made the right choice. yep, we *ARE* a pair!!! ♥♥♥

for week 47's prompt we chose a QUOTE that sums up where we are right now. nothing immediately leapt to mind onfor me, and i was mulling over a few different options when i read this quote of the buddha's:


"hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. hated ceases through love. this is an unalterable law."


how awesome is THAT?! (how TRUE is that??!?!) i don't know if it "sums up" anything about me, but it is definitely something i'd like to keep in the forefront of my mind...and immortalize in my HTA book...and i had a wonderful time playing with inks and scissors and embroidery floss to make my page!

so there you have it: super computery comic-inspired minimalism AND super-blingy buddhist maximalism, side-by-side in my HEART the ART journal; what can i tell you, i'm an eclectic kind of gal! :)

*knock wood! (sorry to be superstitious, but like i said... it was quite a year!)

9 comments:

  1. Oh I loved reading this Lauren ... LOVE the picture of you and your DH ... couldn't have been better ... and your fabulous piece of art with the quote ... stunning ... I study Practical Philosophy (PP) and this is what it is all about ... My year has been the most amazing ... from the lowest of the low ... to the highest of high ... a true roller coaster where PP has kept me company, and kept me sane ... May 2011 be a wonderful year for you and yours ... wishing you a Very Happy Christmas ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE PHOTO! OMG, it is FAB-U-LOUS!!! Suitable for framing, even!

    I hope 2011 is a GREAT and NOT SCARY year for you both! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that your hubby is still doing well...you all had quite a time with that vertigo..so scary! I ADORE both your creations!
    I love your eclecticism (I don't know if that is even a word...but hopefully you know what I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a heartfelt post and I love reading it. The picture of the two of you together is gorgeous and the sentiment is so so true. That quote from Buddha is stunning and yes....true!
    Glad to hear your husband is feeling better but 2010 must have been a difficult year...
    Your creations are stunning; and so lovely to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post Lauren, just love coming here! Since I just "discovered" you not that long ago, and do not know much about the beginning of your 2010, but I sure feel glad that everything is fine and everyone is well and happy again, 2011 year will be a GOOD year for you and Jeff, and all at home! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the pix of you and jeff. so cool! glad to hear he's doing well!
    oh, i love your fabbie page with buddha's quote. love that quote. it is so true. love all the blues and bling, wowee, fabbie! thanks for sharing!
    hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season.
    *hugs* steph :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing!! I love the pair one. It is amazing. Like frame and enlarge perfect amazing. Don't forget to put the pages in the flickr group if you ever get a chance. I'd love to see them all in there. (only if you have time, you are a busy bee like me. hehe)

    I am dying to open the present you sent me. I have not yet, but I might open it the day before Xmas because of "circumstances". I'll see. :)

    I can't wait to see the last few you catch up on. I have the last one done, I just have to scan it in. Kinda sad to be done, but wow... I did it. A whole year.

    It didn't catch on and there were only a few of us doing it, but dang I had a blast and have a TON of memories on paper now. Awesome.

    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the comic effect is really cool and that is such a sweet photo/prompt! so glad to hear that he is doing well. hope you have many years of happiness to come! =) the other prompt is beautiful as always. love your stitching details. thanks for sharing! have a cozy and lovely Sunday! =)

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~