Monday, September 14, 2026

So Cute It's Almost Scarry

Even before I learned to read, Richard Scarry's "What Do People Do All Day" was one of my favorite books, because there were SO MANY illustrations that you could basically figure out the action, even without being able to decipher the words. Also, it was open-ended, with every double-page spread featuring a new world or concept, so you could randomly flick through and seemingly always discover something new. Also, the "people" in the book were actually adorable animals, all of whom had names, clothing, jobs, pastimes, family and friends; rendered in a very detailed style that I still enjoy to this day. Because YES, I still own my childhood copy; and NO, I don't cut out the illustrations from that copy to make art. But...


...I've seldom been to a book sale or a garage sale that doesn't have a few Richard Scarry books (and/or pretty much any other beloved childhood fave) which are literally falling apart, have been torn and scribbled in, have missing pages, etc etc. And if you'd like to start using original illustrations in your art, I highly recommend treating yourself to a few seriously distressed books, like the one below, which is where I got all the sweet little bits to adorn my mandala. Including, but not limited to, Lowly Worm in his apple car, my very very favorite Scarr-achter!


Wishing you a wonderful, whimsical week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~