Sunday, September 22, 2013

in lieu of monsta monday...

...would you settle for shark sunday??!?! because it just so happens that i've recently knitted a shark. which might be the best sentence i've typed all year, actually. because when it comes to cool crafting phrases, i think, "i've recently knitted a shark" is hard to beat! ok, i suppose, "i've recently knitted a life-sized shark" would be even better. but i'm pretty sure i don't have enough yarn for that, so this little amigurumi-sized one will have to suffice. for now.


sharkey was a birthday present, by special request, for nephew matthew, who's just turned six. at the moment, he's VERY into all things aquatic, especially sharks; thus i made a cool digi-panel for his gift bag, using a fabulous shark illustration miss gina created a while ago:


you might think a knitted shark in the hands of an adorable 6-year-old would be impossible to top in terms of birthday party cuteness. and you'd be right. until you saw the cupcakes that matthew and madeline made for the party:


for the record, my sister amie did do a little helping and a lot of supervising, but most of the mixing and decorating of these cupcakes really was done by the kids; they LOVE to cook and have taken classes fairly frequently at their local wegmans for the last couple of years! 

speaking of cuteness, matthew, and sharks, here is the man himself having finished the 100+ piece puzzle that was also in his birthday bag the other night:


my sister sent this in a text the other day. she probably sends me a random photo of one or other of the kids at least once a week, usually just with a one-sentence description of some sort. this one said, "cue the theme from jaws" and made me smile for the rest of the day. it also made me have the theme from jaws stuck in my head for the rest of the day, but that's a pretty fair trade-off, imo.

happy birthday, matthew 
and many happy returns! 
♥♥♥

6 comments:

  1. awwww....perfect gifties for your aquatic loving nephew! That knitted shark is just way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't breathe...all the cuteness...agh....look at that face! That really is an awesome sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo adorable! I love that lil sharkie! And yes, that sentence totally wins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect :-) Loving the shark-knit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE that shark bag. I didn't realize was the same age as Leo. Very cute. :) I love seeing the old shark pulled out of the digi file world and put to use. So cute. The little shark guy is ADORABLE. I want one. I swear I've been looking at the little itty bitty characters people knit and crochet on etsy and it makes me want to learn. OMG.. another craft. Holy crap. You'd think I was trying to earn artist merit badges. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~