Friday, March 3, 2023

I Can See CLEARLY...

We're heading in to the second week of our Jingle Belles transparent element challenge, "It Came Upon a Midnight CLEAR" and once again, I've de-hoarded an ancient Hambly Transparency, this time as a base for a cluster of vintage postage, stickers and other xmassy odds and ends:


In the past, when I've posted cards built upon a clear base, the two big questions I get asked are, "HOW to you attach things?" and "Can you see the adhesive on the inside/back of card?" The answers to these are, respectively, I use the clearest available adhesive for the job, depending on what I'm attaching; and as long as it looks NEAT from the other side, I don't get too worried about it not being 100% invisible. In this case, the stickers took care of themselves and they look beautiful from the other side. For the vintage postage stamps, I used gluestick, which is likewise invisible. For the patterned paper circles I used Scor-Tape and Foam Tape, cut neatly into squares, and yeah... if you realllllllllllllly look carefully on the inside you can sort of see those, but... I'm not very bothered by it. The third question in this realm is, "How do you add a sentiment or signature?" The answer to that is I put a diecut label shape on the inside, placed in such a way that it enhances the design on the outside. I will try to put my writing behind the stickers, and I'll write a little smaller and neater than usual, but again... I'm not going to stress if it's slightly visible.

Some additional attachers for clear cards include: brads, staples, the special "invisible" gluedots or photo corners they make for using with vellum and... maybe my favorite... machine or hand stitching! If you want to short circuit ALL of these concerns, you can build a card where only a central window is made of clear acrylic; OR you can make it so that only a border of the acrylic shows. Hope that has given you a few ideas, and I'm happy to answer questions in the comments or via email!


Remember, you do not need to make a card that's entirely clear for this challenge, you just need to add a clear element... so shaker windows, vellum panels, vellum stickers, lucite or plastic elements, etc; are all fair game! Make sure to check out the reader's gallery on the Midnight Clear post at Jingle Belles to see what Stephanie has made and also how the other participants have interpreted the idea of "CLEAR"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~