Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Paper Pieced Daffodil Card

The other day I set out to make a special card for a daffodil-loving friend, and discovered --much to my surprise-- that I literally do not own ONE single daffodil-related item?! No stamps, no diecuts, no stickers; I couldn't even find a nice sized daffodil illustration in my collection of falling-apart collage books. What to do? I searched for a simple clip art image of daffodils, printed it out, and used it as a template with scraps of patterned paper.


I stapled the flowers to some yellow gingham paper, and cut out around the outside lines. I set those pieces aside, and stapled the clip art flowers to some dotty orange paper, and cut out around the centers. I glued the centers to the flowers and using the clipart as a guide, I outlined all the petals and centers with a fine-tipped black pen; adding shading with a darker orange pen. Since the foliage on daffodils is pretty straightforward, I just doodled some stems and leaves of various heights onto green scraps and cut them out. Then I arranged everything on a Nestabilities Label Shape diecut, added a mat, and machine-stitched around the whole thing.


This is probably not something I'd attempt with... say... a gazzillion-petaled hydrangea, but for simple shapes it's a fun and easy method that lets you make a completely original card!

No comments:

Post a Comment

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~