Tuesday, October 16, 2012

best witches for a happy halloween!

i was too lazy to take a photo of the inside of my card, but i wanted to make sure i told you the *FAB* sentiment i used on what is, for me, a very rare halloween card. i don't know WHY i seldom make them, i quite like halloween, and i love all the goth imagery and colors and things, but somehow between my family's over-abundance of autumn birthdays and the fact that halloween tends to fall in the space where christmas card and project production steps into high gear, it just never seems to happen. but this week's challenge at shopping our stash is trick or treat AND i stumbled across this adorable richard scarry illustration in one of my falling-apart booksale books, so i was doubly inspired! just in case you are not keen on the holiday aspect, the alternate route for this challenge is to make a card which features candy, cupcakes, or any other "treat" item on it... so it really is trick OR treat! cool, no?!

(vintage richard scarry illustration from a damaged library-used-book-sale-aquired children's book; patterned paper: authentique; ink: colorbox; adhesives: staples brand gluetape runner, scotch gluestick, 3m foam tape, sewing machine)

another thing that tipped the scales for me in favor of a halloween card this week is that i have a fabulous (but neglected) authentique paper pad that miss stephanie gave me a while back, which is in the black, creamy/yellowy and orange tones that so artful challenges (where my lovely and vivacious blogging friend electra is on the dt!) would like to see for their harvest moon challenge; you don't actually need to have a MOON in your project for that; in fact it doesn't have to even be halloween-themed, butas soon as i have a witch on a broom, i immediately want to position her in front of a big full moon, so i was more than halfway there already! :)

i used last week's mojo monday sketch, even though it IS last week's mojo monday sketch, because for one thing, i just LOVED the sketch itself; but also, that lovely large circle element is just PERFECT for the aforementioned witch-enhancing moon, don't you think?


i'm also linking up with the autumn/halloween challenge at challenge up your life and the time to get spooky challenge at card makin' mamas so i send a hearty "HELLO" to the lovely ladies on those sites!

speaking of lovely ladies, there's a whole gorgeous bunch of 'em at SOS and they've ALL made utterly fabulous things they'd like to show you this week, so why not hop over and visit them now? it's well worth the trip, i promise you!

16 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween to YOU! Your cards are always like little works of art. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this image ... what a stunning card ... love the fish tail banner too

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this...such a fun owlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! This is an amazing card! WOW!!!!!!!! I love this! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CUTER than CUTE! I'm so in LOVE with that owl image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I think I've still got all the Richard Scarry books that I used to read to my children! Loved those things.
    What a "find" on that old book and then so creative to use the picture. VERY cute card!!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this (even though I so was not a fan of Richard Scarey as a child...I don't know 'bout you but I found a worm wearing one shoe super-creepy). I adore those pennants and the layout is abby fabby!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't even begin to express how much I love this ... Richard Scarry ... Halloween ... pure creative magic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the cutest owl ever. The papers are gorgeous too. Too bad he can't fly from your place to mine hehe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing card L! Richard Scarry is theee best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren- I always love when you use illustrations from a book. This is so charming! Love the DP you used. Great card!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fabulous Halloween card! I love Richard Scarry too...I recognized that owl :) Wonderful papers and perfect with the MM sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, that IS a great layout! And you've used it to perfection, Lauren! Love the RS owl-witch and the amazing papers!
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card ! Love all the designer papers you used. Thanks for joining in at Card Makin' Mamas.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. tee hee that owl is to die for!! I love this card. I have a special place in my heart for all Halloweeny cards. Esp. those featuring witches/owls or skeletons!! So cute. Worked so well with that sketch.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~