Tuesday, August 20, 2013

SOS116: use your oldest hardware

this week at shopping our stash you've got another fabulous chance to break out those oldies but goodies! this time we're focused on hardware. of course brads, eyelets and the like are pretty obvious; but maybe you still have ribbon slides, frames, or even those little metal + vellum tags that were so very popular back in the day? (leslie has used those BRILLIANTLY this week... seriously... you'll be either unearthing your own immediately or wishing you had some!!!)

sometimes i'm hindered trying to recall what item in a given category i acquired first, but not this time... i remember quite vividly the very first occasion on which i watched in awe as the owner of my local (now sadly defunct) rubber stamp store used an anywhere hole punch, an eyelet setter, and a big honkin' hammer to attach paper flowers to a greeting card. needless to say, i left the shop with a punch, a setter, and a supply of those very eyelets! and i happily re-visited all three of those to make this card: 

(patterned paper: doodlebug, teresa collins, my mind's eye, sei, creative imaginations, echo park, dcwv; glossy white cardstock: ranger; pennant flags: pink paislee; florals: prima + making memories;  rub-on sentiment: fancy pants; circle punch: ek success; eyelets and tools from the late lamented stamp pad in new hope, pa; ink: colorbox; adhesives: staples brand gluetape runner, gluedots, sewing machine)
i really really didn't do justice to this very cool sketch from the october afternoon blog; nor did i wind up using any OA products, but it's definitely worth checking out! i may have to have another go, actually, but i just totally ran out of time.

something that is well worth a bit of YOUR time is a trip over to SOS to see the gang's cards! you'll be inspired, i promise... plus you can link up with us, too!!! :)

9 comments:

  1. BONUS POINTS for using your hammer! Wow. So eyelets got you hooked, not heat embossing? Heat embossing sucked me in, though I won't admit how many eyelets I have.

    And thanks for the shout-out! I stared at those tags FOR-EVAH until I got a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your eyelets! I just unpacked mine last night and now I have a fu embellishment stash. A couple of days too late, but they can start getting used up. Just waiting on counter tops that were made incorrectly and I will be in my craft room working. Yippee. We have lights and power and doors now. If the counter tips were done right the first or second time I would be creating already. Third time is a charm though, right? We will have to post finished results of both our spaces when they are finally done'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card, Lauren! Ahhh, eyelets! Yes, I have many of those and I love it when they get sucked up in my vacuum cleaner! :D) Love the layout of your card and the wonderful integration of dp from your stash. I usually cut mine in circles to use as buttons on my projects. I will have to try quilting them on a card like this. Very Nicely Done!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT
    Shopping Our Stash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome...eyelets, it's been awhile since I've used any. Love your card, super fab colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card!! Love that patterned paper too. Eyelets were what I first thought of, but after searching I realized I must have donated them to a local store that accepts used craft supplies and sells them for charity. It makes it so much easier to part with supplies when I know other crafters are getting use out of them and others in need are getting helped at the same time.
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. how do you do it Lauren? You always pickup seemingly random pieces of papers or elements and turn them into fabulous art work pieces! I wanna know your secret!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cheery card with all the fun patterns and happy colors! Oh my, I have a drawer full of eyelets...need some?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much awesome :) I love the mix of patterns! And ah, eyelets. I have my old-school mallet & setter still too :) And why is it I only ever want to set an eyelet when everyone is sleeping? Hmmmm.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! That is so cute!! I love the design of it. Eyelets are always lying around! lol

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~