Tuesday, April 23, 2013

SOS98: show us your BEST dollar store or bargain bin find!

because you know at shopping our stash we loooooooove to see what fabulous bargains you've snagged, but then we want to see you USE THEM, as well! so this week it's time to show off your awesome money-saving skillz! this one is right up my alley, because, as you know, i am a figure of some repute amongst cheapies! :) i like coupons, a good BOGO, garage sales, and the clearance aisle! so here's my card, which has a little bit of all kinds of bargains:


ok, so, what've i got here? well, the postcard stickers (which were part of a whole big 6x12"sheet) were a $1 find of my mom's, at pier one of all places! the prima flowers were from a particularly fab day on crafty steals; and the green and tan "papers" are actually two different bits of prima packaging... gotta love it! the doily was diecut by the awesome miss kirsty as part of one of our pixie dust paperie kits; but my favorite thing on this card is the vintage seam binding. i got it at a rummage sale... a real, proper, old-fashioned rummage sale, held in a church hall, with three rooms of junk and a big card table full of homemade baked goods next to where you pay. i think i spent .25 cents for a whole big roll, and could barely contain my delight. the grannies in charge, (GIC's, lol!) one of whom presumably donated said bounty, were utterly bemused that i was sooooo excited about that! :) :) :)

something else to be excited about is this week's retrosketch, which, as you can see, was integral to my design!


for more lovely cards, and tales of extraordinary money-saving valor, why not hop over to SOS and see my fellow designers' take on this fun challenge, whilst you prepare to wow us with your own fabulous finds! ♥

14 comments:

  1. oh, lovely work. Those blooms are most wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just LOVE your card and the story about where you found what too! I got a lot of seam binding from garage sales tooo - why didn't I think about using that?!
    Oh and the postcard stickers are absolute treasure! I would probably hoard them and never used them! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, this is just simply WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! OMGoodness, it's so pretty and elegant looking. I love it!
    Nothing better than a good old rummage sale and you really "scored" with that seam binding.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. SERIOUSLY WHERE ARE THESE CRAFTY SALES? lol! The advantages of not living in the back of beyond :) What a score! And your mom found cool stuff for you too? That just rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!! This is just lovely...Love those flowers...the postcards are fab and I would have been over the moon to get that ribbon... you lucky girl!

    I'm a frugalista too...I coupon shop...used to extreme coupon till they changed the rules in Canada:(
    I love a BOGO and I patiently wait till after a holiday to get the 90 off clearance at Joannes, Michaels and the LSS! I garage sale with a girlfriend ad we sometimes do a Friday hitting up all the thrift shops in a ten mile radius!

    We are thinking of downsizing so I don't spend like I used to when I was filling up this house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, LOVE your "bargain card" - wonderful design elements, and I like how none of the things actually "came" color coordinated. You artistically arranged your beautiful bounty to create a fabulous masterpiece! It truly is a work of art. Thanks for sharing all your goodies, too! hugs, de
    {Creative Smiles}

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bargain masterpiece for sure ... don't you love great garage sale finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soft, pretty, and so very very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren, just wanted to pop over and say thank you for the lovely comment you left on my SOS entry - it means a lot to me so thank you very much.
    I saw your card on the SOS blog and I love it, so soft and genteel. Stunning card thank you for sharing hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a stunning card ...sigh ... I really love those flowers and the design ... And that seam binding is luscious!
    Nice to hear from you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a serious bargain card! Brilliant use of packaging, the primes are gorgeous, and I the lovely seam binding is gorgeous...a really great find for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a gorgeous card....full of so many fun bits and pieces! I love that seam binding- great score!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love the stitching on this card. Rummage sales!!! I wish you were here so we could go and do another thrift store day! That was so much fun.I bet by now they'd have all new papers for us to save! lol. I had a garage sale myself the last two weekends. I also have to do it this Sat again. Then I'm done. Then my Sat's will be painting or going to garage sales myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~