Friday, April 8, 2016

it's almost earth day...

...and if you've played along with us the last few years at ♥JINGLE BELLES♥ you'll know that the one prompt we've had EVERY single year, including the first one, is an "earth day special" for which we make holiday cards that incorporate a re-used, re-cycled or up-cycled element. this can be anything from a piece of giftwrap or tag saved from one of last christmas' packages, to some pretty packaging which held papercrafting supplies, to bits of bakery box plastic or corrugated cardboard or... well, you get the idea! we're also thrilled to have, as our lovely guest star this fortnight, the wonderful kathe deck, whose idea this originally was way back in 2011 (i can hardly believe it's been five years since we've started this lark!) and who remains one of our favorite belles!

recycled bits: gold smoothed-n-saved giftwrap background + packaging from petaloo burlap poinsettias as a photo mat; vintage beaded applique from my stash of funky fabness; velvet and burlap florals: petaloo; vintage-style (but new) santa illustration: glitz design; label shaped ledger thingie: k and co; glorious glitter gold washi that makes me swoon: eyelet outlet; slightly slimmery pale kraft cardstock: core'dinations; ink: colorbox; adhesives: elmers brand gluetape, 3m foam tape, xyron (to fuse the giftwrap to plain cardstock for sturdiness), gluedots, sewing machine

it's tempting to think that i cheated here, since of course i knew this was coming i was able to save some especially fab bits and bobs to use on my card. but really... i've ALWAYS saved the prettier bits of giftwrap and other "fancy" papers that have come my way; like... seriously... since childhood.* in a way i think i took up papercrafting and collage mostly to have a good reason to save and use this sort of thing, more than the other way around! :)


in this case, the (metallic and hard to photograph, grrrrrr) gold paper in the background is giftwrap off a present from my mom last december (smoothed out and xyroned onto some plain white cardstock to make it a little sturdier) and the mat behind that cool vintage-style santa illustration is a bit of packaging from the yummy blue burlap ponsettias! the leafy gold thing is actually a vintage applique for sewing; it's HEAVY and needed about fourteen** gluedots to secure, but i absolutely fell in love with it, even before i realized how perfectly it coordinated with the gorgeous eyelet outlet glitter gold washi tape that makes me swoon every time i use it!


i used the current (#406) sketch saturday for my layout... quite faithfully, for once, as a matter of fact!

be sure to hop over to ♥JINGLE BELLES♥ where both stephanie and kathe have extraordinarily fab cards to inspire you! ♥

*don't worry, i have a clearout periodically, and i'm hopeful to avoid being featured in my own very special two-part episode of "hoarders", lol! :) :) :) 

**totally serious... that thing is ON THERE! 

6 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow, Lauren! Your mom chose exquisite paper, made even prettier with the added touches of that beaded appliqué leaves. The gold wash and burlap flower are also wonderful accoutrements. FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card, gorgeous colours and the flower and leaf are perfect. A beautiful card. hmm not sure I'll be playing I will have to do too much digging to find something to up-cycle. of course I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cheating here... you are a craft-hoarder like the rest of us! I am that freak on xmas that secretly steals a piece of wrapping or a tag... and discretely tucks it in my gift bag! The pieces of your card play so well together! The stitching really makes it feel warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's breathtaking, jaw dropping beautiful! Another WOW creation and to think it's out of bits and bobs! So beautiful and designed to perfection.
    Sorry I haven't been around lately....been on a rocky road around here once again. Trying to find some smooth pavement now.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. love these cool blues and the things you manage to pull together like they just belong...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowee! Gorgeous, rich texture! LOVE everything about this Lauren. This is one of my fave Jingle Belles prompts, hopefully i can find time to join in! (Contrary to the wishes of most sane persons, the weather continues to be rather wintry here and the ski trails gorgeous!) My poor fellow citizens and neighbours are appalled at the new snow that seems to arrive almost daily if in small amounts. At this point, I try to keep my smile to myself and just sneak off to the trails at the first opportunity, lol. I will enjoy it until I can no longer. lol
    Anyhow, you have definitely inspired me and perhaps I will be able to use my time on the trails to design a wonderful upcylced Holiday card in my head and sneak into my craft room once home again. :)
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~