Tuesday, March 25, 2014

SOS144: use your oldest tree stamp

for this week's challenge at shopping our stash, the direction couldn't be more simple, could it? use your oldest tree stamp. easy peasy! in cases like this, i'm always embarrassed to admit to being stumped, but i was. partially because my oldest tree stamp is a 2.25 x 1.25" row of palm trees that my friend barb found in hawaii, years and years ago. which i totally *LOVE* but somehow i just couldn't think what sort of card i could build around such a small image. then suddenly, i had a really WEIRD idea! want to see?

(palm tree silhouette stamp: from the long's drug in the ala moana center, c.1996, stamped with stewart superior permanent india ink on top of a pink orchid photo printed on kodak premium glossy paper; basic grey oversized chipboard letters used as a template; palm tree clear-background stickers: creative imaginations; dimensional hibiscus sticker: sandylion; cloud patterned vellum: maggie holmes/crate paper; adhesives: 3m foam tape, xyron machine)

yeah. told you, it's a little odd. the stamp actually isn't the focal point, but i still think it makes the card! the pink letters are built on top of an enlarged (and extensively photoshopped) picture of orchids i took in hawaii. i printed it on a full page of glossy paper, stamped the palm silhouettes, then traced some oversized chipboard letters over top. that process looked a little bit like this:


the whole idea is inspired by something even weirder, that i made last summer:


it's an index card from the ICAD project i participated in, via the daisy yellow art blog, and i think it's a pretty good illustration of why i love doing "pointless" art journally type things. well, the main reason is, they're FUN and i enjoy them ;but sometimes they can also turn out to be a tiny bit practical, in ways you would not have seen coming!

and now i urge you to visit SOS and see the beautiful work of my teammates, who have definitely put the TREE in "treat" for you this week!!! :)

13 comments:

  1. Superb!!! Makes me want to hop on the next plane for Hawaii! Beautiful and I love the tree in the background like that.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you use letters as templates on photos! One of these days I'll print a photo and try it myself! Until then, I shall continue to read your blog and drool. That is all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job, love how you used the palm tree stamp that is sure thinking outside the box. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a VERY COOL card! Love the scene, colors - and just everything! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Love how you've used the row of palm trees! The bright colours...the whole project is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh! this is so not weird!... unless I'm weird too which is totally possible LOL

    I love it!! : )

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is 7 kinds of awesome, it is! So clever, so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! Love what you've put together here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My jaw is sitting in my lap right now from seeing this absolutely brilliant creation! I. LOVE. THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha this is so cool!! When I first read your title I thought it said your oldest dollar stamp. lol. I don't know why. I have so many of those dollar stamps. You know the ones you could get from J's or M's? I think they are 2 dollars now. ha! Dang inflation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's easy to see how you were inspired, and your creation is amazing! This index card is just gorgeous with those stamped trees! NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren, i was puzzled when i saw your entry in the challenge, as to where the tree stamp was on your card, but now I see. It's integrated well. Thanks for stopping by my blog with the kind words for SOS Challenge 144.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~