Tuesday, March 18, 2014

all buttoned up!

this week's challenge at shopping our stash is "buttons and bows". half of that equation-- the bows-- are no worry at all. i can work a bow in anywhere. even a guy card! no problem. nope, it's the button part that gets me. now i'm pretty sure everyone but me will think, "ooooh! buttons! awesome! slam-dunk!" which it is. unless you happen to be button-using-impaired. which you probably aren't, since i just made that up. but even if that happened to BE an actual crafting disorder, judging by the fact that everyone but me is able to routinely use loads of buttons in really cool and innovative ways, you probably still aren't. but i am. so c'mon and make a card to show me how it's done, k?!!

(patterened paper: crate, teresa collins, american crafts, echo park; florals: recollections, petaloo; bird sticker: basic grey; fabric flower sticker: amy tangerine; scalloppy border: heidi swapp; buttons and seam binding from my stash; ink: colorbox; adhesives: staples brand gluetape runner, 3m foam tape, gluedots, low temp hot glue gun, sewing machine)

having said all that, i do really like my card; and i have used four buttons. i seriously doubt ANYONE would consider that an impressive quantity; neither are they used particularly innovatively-- three flower centers and the top of the tag-- but they're there. so they count! like i said, the bow was easy. i originally planned to place it as part of my horizontal strip, near the two border stickers. but as soon as i had a tag (with a hole in the top, score!) i moved it up there, instead. the key to my whole placement was yet another extraordinarily fab sketch. this time from deconstructed (#142):


my card is admittedly a loose rendition, but i think you can see the bones? i swapped the two little horizontal flags at the top in favor of the aforesaid horizontal band that anchors my grouping of elements. which maybe means the whole thing morphed too far to still be considered a sketch card? but i was inspired by, and started out following, the deconstructed sketch... so it's only fair to give the credit!

speaking of credit, i know you want to check out the fabulous cards at SOS and leave my teammates a little loooooooooooooove. so off you go, darlings! ♥

8 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Love all the layers...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous card, Lauren! Love the colors you picked to use, and the sentiment pretty much says it all! Oh, and I'm rowing right along with you in the button-using-impaired boat, so you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a WOW card, I think you did a fine job with the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!!! There's so much to love about this card! The bow, the doily, the colours, the little flowers and bird.

    I am totally bow-impaired, can't tie em, forever using cheatie bows (even with a bow maker) now buttons, that I can do...stick a glue dot on that sucker and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FOUR buttons, and such delicate threads in each one of them. :) I'm also amused that you can layer a bazillion things onto a card and have it work, but you fear The Button. I think you've shown us all that this is an unnecessary fear, as you've done quite well! As always, I love your cards!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is soooooooooooo pretty! Love all the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. IF there were such a button impaired disorder, you can rest assured that you would not be the only one with it as I have it as well. That said, I think you done did good with your multiple buttons. I like the ribbon, frills, and colors of your card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Leslie, you did a fabulous job! This card is so pink and girlie and I love it! Fabulous job!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~