Tuesday, February 23, 2016

two cards i half like

this week's shopping our stash is a doozie, you guys, we are assaying the dreaded* ONE LAYER CARD! i don't have all that many "nevers" in my crafty life. i try not to have any, actually, because i think it's really useful, creatively, to try everything at least once in a while. but i hardly ever make one layer cards, and i always need a push to do so. which is what's great about challenges, they get us out of our comfort zone, which is excellent. and sometimes, the very stretch of trying out unaccustomed ideas results in awesomely serendipitous surprises. alas, this is not one of those times.

both cards are made from strathmore watercolor paper and are colored with ranger distress inks, tombow markers and faber castell pitt artist pens. "happy birthday" also uses my favorite freckled fawn alphabet stamps, and a gorgeous indian-inspired flower cluster stamp by sheena douglass for crafter's companion. the mandala card uses a stencil from the same collection. both cards have my own doodles added in to the mix

the crazy thing is, that 99% of the work i do in my sketchbook is one layer, using stencils and doodles and handlettering. so i kind of thought that i'd be able to take some of those ideas and translate them into fabulous unique cards. ah well, i think i managed the "unique" part, anyway, lol. there's nothing really WRONG with either of these; they're colorful and fun and i will definitely send them. i just won't necessarily promise not to add a little bit of machine stitching and a few sticky-back gems before i do so. ;) but i did enjoy the challenge of this, and the fact that i don't feel like i really "cracked it" just spurs me on to try again soon.

some folks who've already got one layer cards down pretty danged impressively are my amazing SOS dt sisters. so i heartily suggest you give yourself the treat of checking out their cards as soon as possible, darlings! ♥

*dreaded if you are me, which, quite possibly, you are not. i realize quite a lot of people enjoy making one layer cards and all i can say is that i now admire their work EVEN MORE than previously! well-done, one layer cardmakers, i salute you!

10 comments:

  1. I think you captured one layer beautifully, it looks like two layers and so bright and cheery. I know the feeling of "adding" I already have ribbon on mine LOL. Fabulous cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the itch to add just a bit more...one layer cards are tough...with all the wonderful bling in our world it seems crazy not to add something...a great cheat is wink of stella...a bit of glitz and no extra layers. Btw I love your colorful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both beautiful and colored to perfection. I for one always admire those who easily create fabulous OL cards! I'm no good at it, because I always have this desire to add a little bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them so much more than just "half"! Beautiful one layer cards and I can see the dimension - without dimension. Beautiful!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Hand-lettering, too? You be the bomb, baby! I understand your musings about one layer cards-- I feel like some straight-up stampers do it often, but, sigh, I'm not a straight-up stamper... But look! You did it! Well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done! Love the shading under the letters-- really adds. Fab colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I attempt a one layer card its nothing but heart ache and a chance to throw away a ton of cardstock I just can't do it. For one when you colour a one layer card with lets say copics the ink invertiably goes through the paper and I use 350gsm card which is really thick. Anyways I think you do yourself an injustice your cards are stunning, the colours are a joy to behold !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are you talking about?! These cards are INCREDIBLE!!! LOVE the big, bold, colorful design of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I think you nailed it and cracked it! Gorgeous cards,they don't need a darn thing added to them :o) Deb xo

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~