Tuesday, February 2, 2016

beachy keen

this week at shopping our stash the challenge is entitled, "i'm dreaming of a warm _____" and your assignment is to fill in the blank, then make a card based upon your answer. need some examples? ok, howsabout a warm blanket, a warm bath, a warm hug, a warm cup of coffee (or tea) or even, if you're like me and in the midst of a northeastern us winter, you might be dreaming of a warm beach!

watercolor beach and hibiscus done using ken oliver's color burst pigment powders on strathmore watercolor paper; patterned paper: my mind's eye, crate, recollections, prima; sticker: creative imaginations; glossy white cardstock: paper accents; clear gems recolored with a copic marker: recollections; adhesives: elmers brand glue tape, 3m foam tape, sewing machine

the current fusion card challenge is called "woodland neutral" but alas, despite the total coolness of the theme, i didn't do the inspiration part this time, just the sketch, which is equally fab, however:


i'm pretty pleased with my color burst watercoloring this time, especially because i resisted the impulse to pencil sketch first AND to black outline at the end. not that there's anything wrong with either of those, but when i feel like something is starting to become an unbreakable habit, i start feeling slightly nervous. plus, it's good to change things up once in a while, don't you think?


meanwhile there is more warmth and goodness awaiting you at SOS in the form of projects by my amazing DT sisters. go forth and enjoy those, won't you, darlings? ♥

15 comments:

  1. Can I come with you to this beautiful beach? Did you paint the hibiscus yourself? WOW! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous backgrounds (Barbara go write on the blackboard "I don't need colour burst" and repeat 100 times) Awesome hibiscus and fab. job on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to book the next flight to Hawaii, Bali, or where ever! Wonderful card Lauren. I LOVE that sea and sky with the bursts! Wow! The hibiscus is equally as lovely. Love your card.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is jaw droppingly gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your beachy scene!! That hibiscus??? Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a delightful card using the Fusion Sketch! love the torn papers and wonderful inking on this! thanks for joining us in the Fusion Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...this has to be my favorite project of yours so far. just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous.. I think you're going to have me day dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad your gorgeous bloom found a beachy home ... thanks for joining us at Fusion Card Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful Lauren, I want to dive right in! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, girl, this is just fabulous! I am just hoping one day I can develop the eye for composition and object layering that you possess! I am trying not to be envious..failing miserably! Great Job! You really should frame this or mount it onto a canvas!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, Dude: I was out of the blog loop for a week, and I come back to check things out, and look at this stuff!!! It's like a present welcoming me back to Bloglandia! I can see black outlining too, but this card is not missing it! You should do another one for us to show us what you mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lauren and thank you ever so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog.
    Your card took me right to the warm, gorgeous beaches of Hawaii and made want to book a trip right NOW!! to get away from this cold and gray days up here in North West Indiana. I love the way you created the foam on those waves, simply amazing.
    Your Hybiscus flower is stunning, fabulous layout, thank you for sharing.
    Big Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.
    www.swimbikerunandstamp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Lauren and thank you ever so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog.
    Your card took me right to the warm, gorgeous beaches of Hawaii and made want to book a trip right NOW!! to get away from this cold and gray days up here in North West Indiana. I love the way you created the foam on those waves, simply amazing.
    Your Hybiscus flower is stunning, fabulous layout, thank you for sharing.
    Big Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.
    www.swimbikerunandstamp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~