Friday, November 8, 2013

what's ♥YOUR♥ favorite holiday tradition?

that's the question we're asking this fortnight at ♥JINGLE BELLES♥ as suggested by our lovely guest star marie bingaman! i really loooooooooove this idea, and have spent the week thinking about all of the fun traditions of my childhood, and even some of the newer ones that jeff and i have begun since we've been married. there are almost too many to just choose one!

finally i settled on the annual reading of clement moore's "twas the night before christmas" which started when i was tiny and continued until the last of my siblings moved out on their own. at first it was my father who read the story, then each of us children in turn as we learned to read. by the time we were five or six, we all knew it by heart... i still do, actually, it's the only long piece of poetry i can recite without any hesitation! :) as an adult, i collect copies of the storybook, and have a few lovely vintage ones. for my card, i scanned and slightly re-sized a page from one of my favorite versions, a 1953 "tell-a-tale" edition that gina found for me at a thriftshop. the illustrations are by a woman called zillah lesko, and i absolutely *LOVE* them!

(scanned and re-sized page from a vintage copy of "twas the night before christmas" written by clement c. moore, illustrated by zillah lesko, printed on matte cardstock and mounted as a faux polaroid on a scrap of ranger's glossy white cardstock; patterned paper: we r memory keepers, crate paper, echo park; chipboard stickers: my mind's eye; deco tape: making memories; clear sentiment sticker: oriental trading co; ink: colorbox; adhesives: staples brand gluetape runner, 3m foam tape, scotch gluestick, sewing machine)
i used the current retro sketch (#88) for my layout, and i'm quite pleased with the results!


and now, i hope you'll hop over to ♥JINGLE BELLES♥ to see what marie and stephanie have made, whilst planning your own gorgeous holiday tradition card! ♥♥♥

6 comments:

  1. What a neat tradition! Love your sweet card! happy friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren!!!! (Waving hands wildly). What a great tradition you finally decided on...what a cherished memory! And a cutie-patootie card to boot(ie?). LOL. Thanks for letting me be your guest this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet Xmas card! Love the retro feel of this image and your choice of DPs and elements! Nice stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I so adore this fabulously vintage card! It surely evokes fond childhood memories of reading Twas the night before Christmas with my family, though I'm not sure if we did it consistently every year. I do read it with my boys every year though as well as The Grinch! We are big readers in our house, so we have many of the Christmas Classics. We also enjoy Charlie Brown's Christmas each year though spread out over several evenings as there are so many good ones!!!
    I admire the way that you collect and then so brilliantly use these fabulous images! I have become quite good at collecting them, but need to get on using them if you kwim!
    Anyhow, I can think of so many cards to make that depict cherished childhood memories of Christmas - I had better get busy!
    Hugs,
    Shanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful tradition and I love your card...how nice that you could scan the page from the storybook and use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! I love it! Its so pretty. If I haven't called dibs on a Christmas card, I am on this one. I'm not sure I remember all of them right at the moment. I love her illustrations too.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~