ok, it is just a leeeeeeeeetle bit wonky. (you'll notice there is no photo taken from the front of the cake, staring down the point...this is not an accidental omission!) i definitely need to be bolder when it comes to making the little nips in the fabric where you need to turn the seam quite abruptly. also, i have no idea how to perfectly press tiny sewn things with my big honkin' iron! but all in all, as a first solo project, i am not at all unhappy with my effort, and i was definitely pleased & proud to present it to my lovely friend!
Saturday, March 6, 2010
if i knew you were coming i'd've *SEWED* a cake!
like this one!
i made it for missus trash's birthday. it seemed like the thing to do, what with her being such a smashing seamstress, quilter, and fabric artist...and my having just learned to sew a bit!
i got this FAB pattern from the dollifever etsy shop. it was actually meant to be made of felt, and top-stitched together, but my new-found machine-stitching skills were burning a hole in my pocket, so i decided to attempt to convert the pattern. i added a 5/8" seam allowance to each pattern piece...and somewhat to my surprise...it actually worked!!! i used ribbon for my piping instead of felt, and added pre-made paper flowers on top, et VOILA!