Wednesday, August 20, 2008

music to my...EYES?

uh huh!

it's the brand new CAARDVARKS challenge,
(yepper, the diabolical pun is mine...could i BE more proud?!)

and this time we've gone all MUSICAL!!! i absolutely *love* this theme...there are sooooooooooo many ways to go with it: male or female, young or old, retro or modern! plus there are loads of terrific products out there... like hambly's shimmery silver-on-black sheet music paper, and a very soft antiqued pink version by ek success, not to mention hot off the press' note-shaped brads (all of which can be seen in my cards, below) ...OR... if you like to get all collagey, old music books and vintage illustrations work rather well when combined with some flowers and other modern accoutrements!

i could see SO MANY cool possibilities that i had to make two cards for this event! the first is a very silly "guy card" for my uncle bruce:

(cardstock: daisy d's, bazzill; patterned paper: hambly, love elsie; tuna illustration downloaded from internet; font: bart; inks: colorbox, bazzill; brads: hot off the press; text reads, "Unsuccessful Game Shows...#307: Name That Tuna"; inside reads, "Best Fishes on Your Birthday!")

the second is a very frilly, very feminine "girl card" for my sister-in-law, barbara:


(vintage sheet music & greeting card from garage sales; patterned paper: ek success, basic grey; flowers: petaloo, prima; grunge board: tim holtz (painted with metallic white acrylic paint & sprayed with pink glimmer mist); chipboard bird: tattered angels; pearls: k&co; other: gluedots, colorbox inks, white generic cardstock; inside of card has the original verse from the vintage birthday card, which reads, "A birthday filled with sunny hours, With music sweet and true, And happiness all round about, Is what I'm wishing you." cool, no?!)

and yes, this is one of those rare occasions in which i not only MADE two cards...i actually really *like* both of them! plus, did i mention the magnificent DT creations, which can be seen here?! oh yeah, and you'll want to check out the work of our guest designers, camilla and christine as well!

of course, my favorite cards for any challenge are always the ones that the CAARDVARKS readers send in...so get busy and link up your melodious creations by midnight on 9-3 for a shot at some rather cool swag from scrapbook express !

7 comments:

  1. hahahahaha! 'Name that tuna'! hahaahaha!

    now I shall spend the evening trying to think of other unsuccessful gameshows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. name that tuna??? LMAO...i am screaming here!!! you are so dang funny:) i love your frilly girl card, the image is so pretty and i adore your embellishing bird and fleurs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your girlie card. that is So pretty. It really caught my eye. Great work! Makes me want to make a music card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Miss Lauren..I saw these on the blog and immediately fell in love with them...They are even as `gorgeous` as `gorgeous` can be!!!:)
    Hope you and yours are well...
    Have a great Evening:)X

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you come up with this stuff? Name that tuna?! You are a riot :) As ever, I love your cards. I may be your #1 fan. Okay, maybe LHJ, then me. Oh, I forgot the nieces. Hmmm. Maybe I'm a close-behind #3 fan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome cards as usual!!! I am rather partial to the tuna card as it appeals to my warped and twisted sense of humour.

    I am going to have to get a bit creative for this one as I don't have anything musical in my stash... something that I clearly should be sorry about!!!

    Hope your back is getting better xoxox

    PS: June and I may have to fight it out over who's the biggest fan...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~