Tuesday, August 13, 2024

SOS528: Color Challenge

This fortnight at Shopping Our Stash we have a fun color palette challenge featuring blush pink, rich red and camel; plus you can use neutrals, as well, if you like:


Here's what I made: 

I have a new obsession: imperfect embossing on textured cardstock! (I know, I know, we spend a couple of decades and a bunch of money on the best products & techniques in order to execute perfectly smooth embossing... and then... some of us decide to go completely in the other direction, lol!) This technique was partially inspired by my lovely blogging friend Jan R who often stamps and colors with pencils on textured cardstock and it looks VERY cool; so I wondered if it would be cool to try a similar idea with embossing and imo it came out really well, a bit like faded vintage linens. For best results, I recommend a biggish cover/background stamp (this is an older Impression Obsession Cover a Card called Peony Pattern) and you definitely want a fairly solid pattern, as opposed to just outlines. Then, just stamp using clear embossing ink and emboss as usual and the textured cardstock will the do work of "distressing" for you because the powder will stick to the bumpy parts but not get down into the crevices. The bottom layer of my card pairs My Colors Cardstock in Chamois with Ranger's White Embossing Powder. The top layer is Blush Pink cardstock and to increase the faded/distressed look of the design I used Rose Quartz mixed with Love Letter and a tiny sprinkle of Cranberry for a sort of stippled effect. Since I put so much effort into getting a cool look, I didn't want to cover my background up too much, so I added a bit of inking to the edges of both panels, matted them on the darker red color from our palette and sewed around the edges. A few ancient mulberry paper flowers and an oversized Eyelet Outlet Pearl Brad complete the design.

This color challenge (SOS528) will run until the evening of Monday, August 26th. Head over to Shopping Our Stash and be inspired by the lovely cards our creative Crew have made!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! What a fun technique!! And I love your stitching!! Way to go shopping your stash and inspiring those who decide to play along with our new color challenge over at Shopping Our Stash!!
    #SOS528

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty I love the wider borders, very eyecatching. the technique looks great. You used the colours to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely card, Lauren! What an awesome technique too! Thanks for the shout out, my friend. (:

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~