Friday, May 7, 2021

Bring on the Doilies!!! :)

We're celebrating "The Spirit of Christmas Past" this fortnight at Jingle Belles, which means we're creating cards with a vintage vibe. That might mean incorporating actual vintage items; OR using new papers, dies or stamps with an old-fashioned feeling. What do we mean by "vintage"? Pretty much any timeframe in history! Your "days of old" could be Regency England, Midcentury Palm Springs, or even just the fond days of your childhood Christmases. Just in case you have nothing that will suit, I've  scanned a few vintage postcards and some sheet music from my own collection and placed them in the Jingle Belles post for you to right-click and save to your computer, then print them out at whatever size you'd like.

Meanwhile, here's what I made this week:



Some of my all-time favorite items to use on vintage-style holiday cards are sheet music and doilies. There are lots of modern versions of both of those, and I love my music-inspired patterned paper and doily dies. But in this case, I went with actual OLD sheet music, paired with the highly textureal, but slightly yellowed doilies I found at a thrift shop over the weekend. The postcard image on my card is also vintage, but in this case I scanned the original and printed it slightly smaller, to be a better fit on my A7 card. Torn mats of patterned paper, machine stitching and a little bit of Eyelet Outlet washi tape add texture and interest. 

Be sure to visit Jingle Belles to see Stephanie's beautiful card, grab scans of some fun vintage items from my own collection, and check out the sweet little prize that's on offer to one random cardmaker who links up with us this fortnight.

1 comment:

  1. I love the vintage challenge, your card is an inspiration. perfect scene and great design.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~