Tuesday, April 7, 2015

sing a song of SPRING!

this week at shopping our stash we're teaming up with words 2 scrap by for their challenge #16: the earth has music; which means you can make one card for TWO challenges, and we all love that, right? there are lots of ways to go with this theme, both literal and figurative. i did a little of each, expressed by quite lot of vintage paper, which always adds up to a happy time for me! :)

sheet music, bird illustration, and garden painting from my stash of vintage goodness; lovely old lace from my MIL; patterened paper: prima, basic grey, my mind's eye; florals: petaloo; leaves: prima 

i used the sketch from the current fusion card challenge, which is pretty awesome, as i think you'll agree:


i was heading towards yellows in my color scheme in order to incorporate the color aspect of the fusion, but then i saw this gorgeous photo, which is the starting point for the shabby tea room's current challenge, beautiful blooms; and suddenly i found myself veering more towards neutrals with little pops of pink and green:


my favorite part of this is the sweet sparrow, which came from a vintage nature dictionary. i fussy-cut him so he could perch on top of the beautiful floral illustration that came from different falling-apart book i found at a rummage sale. (both elements are backed with thin white cardstock i ran through my xyron machine to make them a little stronger; vintage paper can be very thin and rather brittle.) the little scrap of lace is from a bag full of odds and ends my mother-in-law passed along to me, which is kind of making me think that this will turn out to be her mother's day card... hence the lack of sentiment... i want to be able to hedge my bets, lol!


one bet of which i'm absolutely CERTAIN is that you will very much enjoy seeing the other design team members' gorgeous projects at both SOS and W2SB... why not give yourself a treat and visit those right now! ♥

13 comments:

  1. Again, you've done it again. Love the fussy cutting and all the elements you put together to make GOR-JUS cards. And I agree this should go to your MIL for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The stitching really adds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, love everything about it, the bird the flowers the music background awesome Mother's day card for your MIL. Fab. use of the theme

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...yep I am with Leslie...you've done it again! Gor-geeeeee-ous Missus!!
    So very pretty and combining both elements of the challenge...just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...yep I am with Leslie...you've done it again! Gor-geeeeee-ous Missus!!
    So very pretty and combining both elements of the challenge...just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This is amazing and so gorgeous!!!! Love it!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, how gorgeous is this?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! Your work is always gorgeous! I love fussy cutting!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every single element is just so perfect - that lace, the sparrow, the flowers - yep, LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your layering of music, and vintage images - a lovely collage with florals in lace, image and added on - thanks for joining us in the Fusion Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breath taking Lauren, I just love this! Thanks for joining us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous use of the sketch ... love it.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~